my free sw set up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redneckgearhead

Aquarium Advice Freak
Heres some pics of my free 75g sw setup. Granted i had a ton of cleaning to do and am totally amazed that the yellow tang survived. Amonia was thru the roof, no charcoal in the refuge and salt creep everywhere you could barely see thru the glass when i picked it up. Its my first aquarium and have been wanting a sw tank for awhile but start up cost is high (as you all know). When i got it, it had the yellow tang, one hermit, and one snail of unkown breed. I have since added 4 more blue leg hermit crabs. I am blown away by the tiny eco system in these tanks. I have seen two feather dusters in my dt and one in my qt tank. I put some live rock and some cc (I got a new bag of it with the setup) in a 10 gallon tank with the standard hob filter for a qt tank. Will this work for a qt? I have spent many hours searching for info on this site and it has been invaluable just wana say a quick thanks. anyone know what kinda snail that is in the upper right pic?

Oh yea one thing i learned as a newbie. dont take the heater out of the water unless you unplug it. It will get VERY hot VERY quick and then it wont work anymore. :(

Attachments

• IMG_7332 (Small).jpg
    IMG_7332 (Small).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7327 (Small).jpg
    IMG_7327 (Small).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7326 (Small).jpg
    IMG_7326 (Small).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 84
  • fish tank 1 (Small).jpg
    fish tank 1 (Small).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 254
I put some live rock and some cc (I got a new bag of it with the setup) in a 10 gallon tank with the standard hob filter for a qt tank. Will this work for a qt?
No. Don't put any live rock or sand or crushed coral in the QT. Just use the HOB filter and throw in a few pieces of pvc pipe for the fish to hide in.
anyone know what kinda snail that is in the upper right pic?
Astrea snail

Great. Thanks ccCapt. I guess ill be pulling the lr and cc out of there when i get home. I am amazed by the little eco systems in these tanks. any other advice or lessons learned would be greatly appreciated.

I put some seaweed in for the tang, he doesnt seem interested in it.

And a quick question about the astrea snail i have. my lfs calls it as a turbo astrea snail. And i have read on this site to stay away from the turbo snails because they can move your lr around causing it to fall. do i have the breed that will move my lr? thanks again for your guys help.

Some tangs don't eat it. He's still gonna need veggie matter though. There are some frozen varieties too.

Got a test kit yet? Gonna need one. I'm curious about the nitrates and phosphates.

Also, don't leave the seaweed sheets in there if the tang doesn't eat it. I presume you put it on a clip on the front glass?

yea gota test kit. amonia 0 nitrates 5 nitrites 0. no phosphate test kit yet sp 1.023, kh 10, ph8.5. I have been feeding the tang the pellets i got with the set up they are called "Boyds Vita Diet" He tears em up when i drop em in. Not sure if thats a good food for them or not it was what the former owner was feeding them.

I am so surprised anything lived in that tank. the ammonia was at a 4 when i got it. The test Kit i got with the set up says "aquarium Pharmaceuticals" on the bottles. Is this a good reliable kit? Im gonna run a water sample over to my lfs and have them test it for phosphate, calcium etc... I love the advice and I am defianatly hooked. My gf kinda looked at me sideways when i told her we was going after a free sw tank but she is definatly into it now.

Back
Top Bottom