My male ram on patrol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The GBR looks great! I wish I could've found some good stock around here.

The plants in the background seem to be showing some severe nutrient deficiencies though. Unless that is an Ozelot sword, then never mind. ;) It's hard to tell from the pics if they are pin holes.

meegosh said:
The GBR looks great! I wish I could've found some good stock around here.

The plants in the background seem to be showing some severe nutrient deficiencies though. Unless that is an Ozelot sword, then never mind. ;) It's hard to tell from the pics if they are pin holes.

Thanks for the nice comment on my GBR:) and yes it's a new green ozelot sword I just picked up last week(thumb) good catch/eye. I have a red ozelot already I had to get the green I love both color variations of that sword.

Bearchumjs said:
That's a beautiful fish! I think I may want one when I get a big tank! :D

Thank you! What size tank do you have? They can work in a 20 gallon or up for a pair, if you do weekly water changes you can keep a pair in a ten gallon but I prefer at least a 20 gallon.

Discusapisto said:
Thank you! What size tank do you have? They can work in a 20 gallon or up for a pair, if you do weekly water changes you can keep a pair in a ten gallon but I prefer at least a 20 gallon.

Right now I just have a fluval chi 5gal with 1 dwarf gourami and 2 little pond guppies. The gourami is from the pet store and the guppies are from the living organism science unit my daughters 1st grade class did last year. They aren't fancy or colorful but they sure are cute And they are special to her. I want to upgrade to a 29 gallon one of these days. Right now I'm still learning.

Sounds like your off to a good start!:) let me say welcome to the aquarium world! Once the aquarium bug bites ya it's all over lol! I went from a 5 gallon tank to 40 tanks total haha! But it takes time to learn and it's really cool your involving your daughter I do the same with mine:) she pretends she doesn't care about the fish(12 years old going on 25) but when her friends come over she knows the names of all of the species of plants and fish. Best advice I can give ya being new to it all is research every single purchase and species you plan on getting before you buy and get a few trusted books on fish species and of course apps like this one are full of people willing to help out:)

My daughter is 7 and loves science stuff. She's going to love the water test kit when I get it. I had originally purchased a Japanese shrimp to go with my gourami but I guess it jumped out of the tank. LFS didn't tell me the tank would need a lid... Anyway, she cried over it all night!

I figured having an aquarium again would be a nice hobby. They aren't as messy as birds. I have raised finches... They would not stop having babies!! And I had a lovebird. Once he passed away I didn't really have a hobby anymore. Not wanting to deal with bird mess I decided having an aquarium again would be fun. I used to have a 10gallon and it's amazing fish actually lived in it.

Shrimp do jump I've had plenty of shrimp chips as I call them on my rug in my time. It's really neat your daughter is in to science at such a young age that's really awesome. Plus the fish hobby is chalk full of science and other various lessons which keeps it fun and challenging at the same time. I have tanks set up in local schools in my area with aquarium clubs and workshops and all I ever see is nothing but positive come out of it for the kids. Their grades go up, they pay attention in class ( well at least science/biology class sorry boring math lol!) and it gives them something positive to do after school which keeps them off the streets I'm all for this hobby and our youth needs to be excited about it like I was when I was a child in the 80's. Nothing but good can come out of it keep it up your being a great mom getting her involved so young:) btw I have a green cheek conure I know the bird mess your referring to haha!!

I love conures! I really wanted another lovebird but I have a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old (people kids. LoL!) and they make enough less for now.

Im sure you can work a little math into the science. The ph is 6... It should be 7.5... That's a difference of how much?

If you have a 10 gallon aquarium and want to do a 1/3 water change, how many gallons would you have to remove?

See! Fractions!! I hate those. LOL!!

Bearchumjs said:
I love conures! I really wanted another lovebird but I have a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old (people kids. LoL!) and they make enough less for now.

Im sure you can work a little math into the science. The ph is 6... It should be 7.5... That's a difference of how much?

If you have a 10 gallon aquarium and want to do a 1/3 water change, how many gallons would you have to remove?

See! Fractions!! I hate those. LOL!!

Oh man that's hilarious lol!! I guess I could work math in but the kids may drown me in one of the tanks, right now all they ask about is endless fish species haha!!! But little do they realize I have taught them the ph scale, water hardness/softness, and stuff like that so I sneak it in a bit at a time:)

Back
Top Bottom