My mixed cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jinxster373

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a decent sized 56 column tank. I have worked with fish throughout high school and my college years. This is my first tank that I started at age 19. I couldn't decide whether to do an African or South American tank. Did a lot if research on both types that would be compatible with each other I came to the conclusion and they have been housed together for 3+ years no issues with aggressive behaviors with each other. Along the way I have only lost 1 parrot fish which I found out was due to water quality buoy can see in these
Photos crushed coral. This helps keep my water hard because where I live I have very soft water which was hurting my ph. Then I lost 1 convict to a fungus but had him for 3 years. He just passed 6 months ago and was sad for me. Enjoy my pics. Please no arguments over my compatibility

Attachments

• image-464060428.jpg
    image-464060428.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 187
  • image-110229872.jpg
    image-110229872.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 170
  • image-1189552678.jpg
    image-1189552678.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 185
  • image-956336003.jpg
    image-956336003.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 181
I also mix Africans and South Americans as well, along with a few community and a RES turtle. All are happy and healthy, about 6 months ago I lost 2 parrotfish to a Red Devil who has since been re-homed due to aggression, AVOID them, he even started attacking my oscars who were twice his size. My current stocking list (which I'm sure I will catch grief about) 2 Oscars, 2 electric yellow labs, 2 red fin tinfoil barbs, 1 albino zebra, 1 convict, 1 parrotfish, 1 common Pleco, 2 rainbow sharks, 1 RES, 1 Spotted Gar, 1 Kissing Gourami, 5 electric yellow/hybrid fry. 125 gallon tank. All are happy and healthy, no aggression other than small tiffs between the Zebra and Pleco who doesn't pay him any mind.

I really like the colors on your Peacock? And your convict looks awesome, nice and bright contrast between the gray and black.

Awesome! Thanks for your response. Yes, my jacobfreibergi is pretty awesome. I think I got lucky with this purchase. Got him about 2 years ago and was the last new addition before the death of my convict and then new convict. I will never get a devil. Also watch out for the butterkofferois. I bought two as an impulse buy and then did research on them. Not a good pick!

I also hope not to catch grief. People will pick but we know ours are working out.

Yeah my devil was an impulse buy, also my first fish, I have since learned a lot and in the last year have gone from my starter 10gal to 3 tanks, my 125 mixed cichlid, 40gal breeder FOWLR, and 10gal dwarf puffer tank. I have become a real addict. So by column tank you mean a cylinder.

Hi Chris! Yes thanks for answering his question. (Chris is my cousin) it is kind if squarish

It started as a hobby about a year ago, it has since become an obsession. I'm in the USCG.

Attachments

• image-1353003684.jpg
    image-1353003684.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 129
Wow!! Awesome tank! Not familiar with the uscg term? I see your clown loach left bottom and the tin foil barbs as well as your parrot. Cannot make out the school on the top left. What does you turtle eat in a mixed tank like that. My cousin Has a large tank with parrots, Mississippi map turtle and I forget the others. Help me out here Chris. How does that sand work out with syphoning? I know my cichlids prefer a sand substrate but I have has the blue gravel and crushed coral as the starting up. I haven't changed any decor or gravel since the start up.

The USCG is the United States Coast Guard. The school is just feeders, for my oscars and the gar. The sand is not bad at all for siphoning, just take my time and keep the siphon about 1/2"-1" above it and it pulls all the filth right off and leaves the sand in its place, it's nice because the filth doesn't get down in between the particles nearly as badly as it does with the gravel. I started with gravel and was nervous to do sand but now I wouldn't have it any other way. My RES eats All types of fish food (flake,crisps,sticks,pellets) along with feeders, frozen flounder, mealworms, and a small frozen hopper mouse every now and again.

2 parrots, 2 African spottef leaf fish, a synodontis catfish (no positive id) and 2 knifes fish. No aggression at all. And I just siphon the water not the sand. And yes sand is better for water quality, but gravel is fine if maintained. Particles will float down between the gravel. With sand, less particles get down in between if it's a very fine sand (like sugar sized grain). And sand also allows anaerobic bacteria to colonize and turn nitrates into nitrogen gas, very beneficial if maintained correctly, but certainly not needed as we can see from above.

O thanks for your service! As easy as that sand does sound I have had great success with my gravel and they (dempseys) do not mind it. I have a few marbles in there along with a sea glass that has been powder coated so it is not sharp. They pick that up and always make a nest of marbles. Never seen eggs yet though :/ could be because they just aren't a breeding pair or the Pleco is getting to the eggs.

If it works, don't fix it. I like the blue gravel and if your additions (marbles, sea glass) keep them busy thats even better. I had my gravel for several months and it is still in use in my friends 55g. Nothing wrong with it just requires a bit more thorough cleaning.

I wasn't aware plecos ate eggs, although as scavengers I guess it makes sense. I've also been hoping to wake up with Oscar eggs, but due to them not being dimorphic I don't know if I even have 1 male and 1 female, I guess my odds are 1::3 so well see, they are coming up on a year in the next couple months which I read is about sexual maturity for them. Lets hope if I do manage to get some eggs my Pleco won't eat them.

It is possible to mix them, if it works out than its ok To me. others doint like that idd. But I doint bite your head off. I had posted it the beginning. I had a lot people that got mad because I mixed them. They looking good. So I doint have a problem with that good job.

Back
Top Bottom