My new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottishnewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
My new 190 litre tank. Any suggestions on which fish I should get? I would like peaceful, colourful fish that don't fight or kill each other please! Any suggestions to my tank set up wools be appreciated too.. Thanks x

Attachments

• image-3770475929.jpg
    image-3770475929.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 458
There's a ton of options! Neon tetras, cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras, Kerri tetras, guppies, gouramies, a dwarf cichlid (or mated pair), you could have shrimp :) have you looked at any fish? Are there any you are particularly fond of?

I have done a variety of water tests and took sample to the aquarium shop just to be on the safe side and happy to say everything is fine, I bought 6 neons and 6 zebra danios for a start but need a main one. I do like dwarf gouramis but wasn't sure if I could have them.

You can have one, that'd work great. =] Do you have a liquid test kit at home that you use?

Yes I have a kit that tests for nitrite, nitrate, ph and about 3 other things that I can't remember!! It seems really good and it's the same as the aquarium shop uses. Think i will go shopping for dwarf gouramis today and maybe a Siamese fighter?? They are gorgeous!

Scottishnewbie said:
Yes I have a kit that tests for nitrite, nitrate, ph and about 3 other things that I can't remember!! It seems really good and it's the same as the aquarium shop uses. Think i will go shopping for dwarf gouramis today and maybe a Siamese fighter?? They are gorgeous!

You can't put gouramies and Siamese fighters (bettas) in the same tank!! They are both anabantoids and are very aggressive toward each other...

Scottishnewbie said:

What brand is it? Is it liquid or strips?

It's called nurafin and it has about 7 small bottles to test everything fro ph to ammonia to nitrate and nitrite.

Scottishnewbie said:

Yeah...I wouldnt do the betta and gourami. Not gonna work out well. I see you wrote dwarf gouramiS. Make sure you know how to sex them and try to get no more than one male. Or else you will more than likely end up with a dead gourami...

The guy in the aquarium shop and not the one in pets at home knows his stuff and will keep me right. I got into trouble today when I said I had bought fish from there as he doesn't think much of the quality of their fish. You guys are a great help too so hopefully I will soon have a tank to be proud of!!

Scottishnewbie said:
The guy in the aquarium shop and not the one in pets at home knows his stuff and will keep me right. I got into trouble today when I said I had bought fish from there as he doesn't think much of the quality of their fish. You guys are a great help too so hopefully I will soon have a tank to be proud of!!

I'm sure you will have a fantastic tank! And just for future don't blindly trust an LFS employee :) nothin good ever comes of that :) haha

Joyler said:
I'm sure you will have a fantastic tank! And just for future don't blindly trust an LFS employee :) nothin good ever comes of that :) haha

Hey now! That's not true! Hah there are people who work at lfs because they love and know fish...just happens that most times it's not the case. Moral of the story. Always do research on top of what they tell you :)

You have e beginnings of a great tank.

Predfan27 said:
Hey now! That's not true! Hah there are people who work at lfs because they love and know fish...just happens that most times it's not the case. Moral of the story. Always do research on top of what they tell you :)

You have e beginnings of a great tank.

Lol...that's why I said blindly! :) I have gotten fantastic advice and opinions from my LFS...but I also had research to help me decide I wasn't falling into a trap :) I love my LFS!

Scottishnewbie said:

Why dwarfs in such a big tank? Red fire dwarfs are hard to care for. Very picky fish when it comes to changes in the tank. If your going to do sensitive fish why not some clown loaches. Great fish colorful and a sense of humor. They are also good at keeping your floors clean. You can get corys for that to. Go for a red tail or Bala shark. Those are fun to watch.

Joyler said:
Lol...that's why I said blindly! :) I have gotten fantastic advice and opinions from my LFS...but I also had research to help me decide I wasn't falling into a trap :) I love my LFS!

You have to be careful how you say or interpret LFS. Most people think Petsmart or Petco when they say that. I have a guy I go to that i can barley understand but I wouldn't go anywhere else. He is the best. Good lfs help is almost as hard to find as a good gunsmith. : p

Lifeoffroad said:
You have to be careful how you say or interpret LFS. Most people think Petsmart or Petco when they say that. I have a guy I go to that i can barley understand but I wouldn't go anywhere else. He is the best. Good lfs help is almost as hard to find as a good gunsmith. : p

Thats barely not barley. : ). Hahaha. Are we making beer here???

Haha beer now that sounds good ;)
The guy I go to has a small shop and only sells marine and tropical fish and supplies, I don't go to pets at home if I have a choice as there are usually a good lot of dead fish in their tanks.

Scottishnewbie said:
Haha beer now that sounds good ;)
The guy I go to has a small shop and only sells marine and tropical fish and supplies, I don't go to pets at home if I have a choice as there are usually a good lot of dead fish in their tanks.

Agreed. That's how my guy is. He supper knowledgeable and loves what he does. Guys got crazy stuff. Has seahorses now.

Back
Top Bottom