My tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjd4003

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Heres some pics of my tanks. Feel free to comment.

The pics of my frog tank didnt come out to well. I'll take another picture tonight when the lighint is more favourable.

Attachments

• Burlington-20120410-00037.jpg
    Burlington-20120410-00037.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Burlington-20120410-00038.jpg
    Burlington-20120410-00038.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Burlington-20120410-00039.jpg
    Burlington-20120410-00039.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 168
They were all bare bottom until recently. I've got some rocks in with the betta covering the bottom now.

I've got marbles kinda covering the tetra/guppy tank (blue tank) and I'm going to get some more soon to fill it in more.

And for the frogs (green tank) I'm not sure what or if I'll do anything. The bare bottom makes feeding them really easy. cleaning a bare bottom tank is also really easy.

I can fully clean all 3 tanks in a little over an hour, and that includes water changes.

The bottom of the tanks are all black as they sit on a stand I built with a black countertop material.

The danger with Bare Bottom tanks is they can build up a coat of harmful bacteria. Fish breeders are finding, they need to wipe the bottom daily or they were loosing fry.

Big rocks or marbles allow food to drop between and while you can vacuum them its not ideal.

Smooth gravel at least 1" deep will grow beneficial bacteria. You can vacuum it, one section a week. Or use a shallow layer.

Sand works well for me. Debris sits on top, I can siphon it out by hovering the hose above it without removing sand. You can do a shallow layer or go deeper. As long as its less than 3" you shouldn't have issues. I use Malaysian Trumpet Snails to aerate and clean my sand.

I have live plants, so I enjoy my black sand tanks.

Yours look nice. Enjoy your tanks :)

Back
Top Bottom