My Tropical Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whiddett

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I'm just posting a photo of my setup and a list of my fish so that I can link to it in future posts.
Fish I have are:
2 scissor tails
2 torpedo barbs
2 hara hara catfish
1 leopard catfish
1 botia
2 black tetras
7 cardinals
8 neons
2 male guppies
3 leopard danios
2 rosy tetras
1 ansystrous plec
2 white cloud mountain minows
8 algae shrimps
1 red tail shark
3 five striped barbs
1 honey gourami
1 Peppered Cory
1 small algae eating fish (forgot its name)

Attachments

• P4170386.jpg
    P4170386.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 173
Wow! That is a very impressive list of fish! I love the background, is that a 3D background? Makes me want a bigger tank :)

Thanks for the comments guys. I rearranged the plants in the tank last week. I'll trust you that the big plant is called a giant sword. It was previously on the far right near the front. The plant now at the back right was near the front in the middle and kind of blocked the view a bit. I think it looks better now.
The background is just a standard poster from my LST. The tank is a Juwel Rio 120 (120 litres = about 27 gallons).

The background is just a standard poster from my LST.

Hmm, I must need glasses!!! LOL. I was referring the rock formations (from what I can tell) in the back corners of the tank. I'm assuming the blue background is the poster. :confused:

No those rocks are on the poster! Having looked at the photo again I can see where you are coming from. Unfortunately it doesnt look quite so realistic in real life!

Very nice looking tank, I'm a fan of that background too! : )

I just have the standard Juwel Compact H filter system. I've had the setup for a year now and the fish seem to be fine. But I've just ordered a Juwel Vision 260 today as I want to get some bigger fish. Should be good :eek:)

Nice tank, but 50 fish is way too much for a tank that size, even when most of them are small. ;)
While the fish might be still alive after a year, it doesn't mean they could be doing much better. Filtering is not the main issue, because you seem to think that a bigger filter give you more room to add more fish. The main issue is stress, something that you often only see the negative effects of in the long run. It's like stress with people; on the outside you might not see anything wrong, in the long time several physical problems might start to pop up. You see the same problem with birds and other animals.
Getting that bigger tank is going to have a positive effect, but if you start adding lots of larger fish, then you will continue to have this problem of overstocking.

Anyway, it's your tank, I'm just giving you some well meant advice.

Last edited:
You are probably right and I will probably cut the number of fish in my Rio 125 tank once I have the Vision 260 up and running.
Of the 50 fish, 8 of them are shrimps which arent exactly fish so the 50 maybe isnt quite as many as it sounds. Those algae shrimps really are excellent at cleaning up the tank you know.
I plan on being much more selective in my choice of fish for the new setup and planning it out alot more and keeping the numbers down.

I just wanted to update my list of fish as I have my new 260 litre tank and have moved some of the fish over:
2 scissor tails
2 hara hara catfish
1 leopard catfish
1 botia
2 black tetras
7 cardinals
8 neons
2 male guppies
2 rosy tetras
1 ancistrous plec
6 algae shrimps
1 red tail shark
3 five striped barbs
1 honey gourami
1 Peppered Cory

Still quite a big stock but heading in the right direction I think :)
The Leopard Cat will be moving for sure when the new tank's cycle completes as he is a bit big for the 125 litre tank.

Back
Top Bottom