New 20 gal Nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Over the weekend we got Kaya's reef tank setup and running. Not much to look at now as the water is still very cloudy from the sand but here are some general photos of the setup.

http://www.photolocker.net/gallery.php?g=Kaya-Reef&u=fishfreek

The setup is a 20 gal tank with a 5 gal sump. Their is a 100W heater and a Mag5 return pump in the sump.

The return plumbing includes a true union right above the pump, a ball valve above it and a one way gate valve above it. The rest of the return plumbing is 1/2" PVC.

The tank is lit with a 250W 20K XM MH bulb using a Blueline electronic ballast. The tank is kept cool with a 4" icecap variable fan. On some inside caonpy photos you can see the thrmo sensor that is mounted about middle way down the canopy. As the air in the canopy heats up the fan speeds up. I have the fan blowing cool air into the canopy. There is also an icecap moonlight LED that is mounted beside the MH bulb that is on all the time. It really makes the tank look cool at night.

On some of the photos you might see a green bungi strap. Thats what I have rigged up to keep kaya out of the stand. In addition on the left side of the tank I fashoned up a tank stand extension to go back to the wall to keep prying hands away.

Cool. I bet she loves it. :D I've seen how enamored she is with your other tanks. Can't wait for updates.

That's exciting! Can't wait to see it grow...

What kinda livestock are you thinking about? Cant wait to set up a nano..

Givent the lighting Im anticipating SPS and a clam amongst a few small fish (thinking a pair of nemo's) and a cleaner shrimp.

i can't believe you called them "Nemo's"!

Looks like it will be awesome.

i can't believe you called them "Nemo's"!

I Cant believe it either! :lol:

In my previous post I was going to say maybe you couldget some nemo's, but I retyped it so I wouldnt get a good bashing... :p

But....since FF can say it, I am going to too!! Nemo, Nemo, Nemo!!!

PS. I also want a "Dori Fish" in the future...

Ya your tank will support a Dori. My 20 wont. I would say that we will let Kaya pick out her own fish but I know the realistic options are so limiting it would be impossible to let her understand why she cant have that bright yellow fish. Reasoning like that with a 15month old just doesnt happen.

I really like skunk clowns so we might do them. Honestly the wife will play a big role in this as its her tank by assocation. ;)

Wish I got a MH lighted reef tank when I was 15 months old :) Or is it really for the baby hmmmmm...... Just kidding.
Cant wait to see it stocked!! Nanos rock, and so do nemos :D

I also wish my parents were so cool! :mrgreen: I think this just plain rocks! My 16 month old daughter is happy looking at FW fish but a reef would be great! :king:
btw. what exactly could you put in the tank? are you limited by how much light you have.. it seems like alot of light for a little tank, I would think you could have anything that would be small enough to fit in there.. I guess I need to do some reef research..

Back
Top Bottom