Opinions on digital camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok photo guru's. Opinions please.
I have had it with my old 2.1 megapixel camera and am getting a new on.
Either the Cannon S60 or the Cannon S70.
It has to have an underwater housing available and these 2 do.
Does the jump from 5.1 to 7.1 megapixels make that much difference?
Link to specs on both
S70
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons70/
S60
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons60/
Opinions are appreciated.
TIA

They have the same size sensor, the bump in noise is going to be there, whether it's a problem or not, will depend on your taste. Both have ISO 50, so if you shoot iso 50 or 100, it's doubtful if you'll notice it at all. They seem to have the same lens, the higher MP will give you more cropping ability but 100mm isn't much.

Between the two, I'd go with the 7mp cam, I doubt the noise will be a big issue and you'll be able to get better and bigger prints, if you want them.

Thanks Kevin and Revtree.
So for just every day shooting and printing (Not interested all that much in larger prints), pretty much the same result? Reason I ask is that 60 is in stock, the 70 needs to be ordered and is about $50 more.
What do you think of the camera's in general?
This is for work, everyday and diving. Gonna have a Sea and Sea MX10 with strobe for sale when this is all set.

I think there are probably better cams suited to the diving, but I couldn't tell you what they are. With just 100mm your going to have to get awfully close. a 5mp will probably give you decent 8X10s maybe even 11X14 with the right software. The 7mp will give you bigger prints and more room to crop to bring the subject a little closer. Look for the S70 from an online source, you can probably find it cheaper and in stock ;)

Yup, found it online, ordered and saved $60 even with shipping.
Thanks for the help!! :D

Got the camera already. Boy are they fast!! Nice camera, now I just have to figure out how to use all the feature. 8O

I just purchased this camera today. I was wondering what you thought of it now that you have owned it for a while. I got it from Best Buy here in town. I paid $405 for it.

The only thing I have noticed in my short time using it today is when I use it inside and the flash goes off, there is a shadow in the upper left hand corner of the pic.

Please let me know how you like your S70. The other digital I had been considering is the Nikon Coolpix 8700.

TIA
DJ

Back
Top Bottom