Oscar tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harborlily

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can you give me ideas on decorating my oscar's new 55 gallon? She's a baby (only 2 inches), and this will be her home for a year until I go bigger.

I know the no sharp edges rule. I was thinking black sand. I was also thinking pennywort and wisteria (high nitrates in tap and this helps a lot) and the plants are cheap here so I don't care if she tears them up. But I'm at a loss on decor! Rocks? Wood? PVC?

29 gallon community tank with mollies and corys
10 gallon temporary tank for a sick baby Oscar named Audrey

put a few rocks maybe some driftwood if you need to lower ph and rocks for hight ph

I would go for floating plants. Any rooted plants are unlikely to do well in a tank with an oscar.

I use a mix of driftwood and rocks in my oscar tank so just go with what you like. Don't worry about any changes to pH that is associated with them.

Silly question but can I get rocks from the beach and soak them? Or only River rocks

I put some beach rocks in my 30.. all good.. soaked them for a few weeks though with many wcs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I have a river rock area so I'll check there first

Although the long soak with wc's works, you could always boil it like 3 times and then soak it for a day or two.

Thats what I did when I went rock collecting around the neighborhood for my RCC tank.

On a side note- I'm at work and my fiancé googled a pic of 'dead tiger oscar' to send me and freak me out... I told him he owes me a filter since he scared me half to dead

Although the long soak with wc's works, you could always boil it like 3 times and then soak it for a day or two.

Thats what I did when I went rock collecting around the neighborhood for my RCC tank.

Don't boil rocks...
Shortcuts create shrapnel sometimes;)

I could certainly boil and soak. There's a great beach here with large stones.

Oh weigh in on this....

90 gallon for $50
Or 55 with hood for free....

Why?

They can explode, some rocks contain voids or gas pockets..

Guess it depends on the rock, but I see the concern.

I apologize for my bad advice XD

However, you could pour hot water on them. Or you could soak in hot water. It would speed up the process.

Oh weigh in on this....

90 gallon for $50
Or 55 with hood for free....

90 gallon. Since it is an oscar tank, your lights wont be too expensive as they only need to light up the tank, not support plant growth or reef growth.

And Audrey would certainly love the extra space.

Hell of a deal for 50 bucks.

Can I deal without a hood for 2 weeks until I get paid? I can put plywood or something over the top...

The 90 has to be resealed but I'm sure I can handle that

Lol yeah, not having a hood shouldn't be a big problem.

Make sure you keep some lights on the tank or in the room so Audrey knows when it is day time and night.

I keep the room lights on all day for her. She's scared of the light on the 10 gallon right now so I keep it off. I think that's because of the white sand in there though. She's very active with the lights off.

Can the little filter handle the bigger tank for like a week while my sun sun ships? It's an aquaclear 30. This girl is expensive! So I kinda need to stagger the purchases

Hmm... Do you have any floating plants, or can you pick some up? It would keep your parameters low.

Keep an eye on that ammonia!! If it starts rising make sure you are doing water changes.

Back
Top Bottom