Photos of Red bellied females

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I took a few shots of my new female kribnesis. This is the biggest one which is the most photogenic and the most evil lol. I took the pictures with my broken ebay camera so be nice! :p

Thanks guys! Nope no hubby yet, I am not ready for babies :p

Is it just the angle of the picture, or does it look like she is filling up with eggs?

BTW, nice picture and great looking krib. :D

I think she is, she's much more colorfull right now too. I but a little cave & she goes in there often and chases away the other fish from it. I think she's wants to breed but there aren't even any males in the tank.

She will end up just laying her eggs and obviously they will not get fertilized, since there is no male around. More then likely the other tankmates will eat the eggs unless of course she eats them first. :D

OMG I AM TOTALLY AMAZED! There are 3 kribs in the tank. All with red bellies. They all have to be female because they all have red bellies right?
So anyways one of the female (the one in the pic) was swiming for a couple of weeks with a belly full of eggs. And then 2 days ago I noticed she wasn't as round so I thought she released the eggs and ate them (because I never saw them). So today I look at the tank and there are some kind of bugs with eyes that blend in with the gravel OMG OMG I SEE BABIES!!!! I am totally shocked and I still can't believe it as I write this!!!!!

I saw the big fish swim up to them and eat them so I took out the lesbian parents (lol but seriously how can there be babies with no males in the tank?) I counted there to be about only 40 babies & they have formed themselves into two groups. They all kind of cruise on top of the gravel and some just stay still wiggling their tails. They have yellow bellies (yolk sac?) with red dots on their bellies.

My question is WHAT DO I DO??? I don't know how to raise fish & was definetely not expecting this. I read about breeding bettas though and I recall that when the babies are born you have to feed them with some product called LiquiFry? All the babies are in my 90 gallon right now. HELP!

Males can have redish bellies too. The females will have more of a rounded tail, where the male comes more to a point, like an arrow.

And from the sounds of it, you definitely have a male/female pair. I would just leave the babies alone, since the parents are very protective over their young.

Congrats on the fry! :D

So I should put the parents back? Even though I saw them eat them?

Are you sure they were eating them, because the parents will carry their young around in there mouth.

Since you have moved the parents, what is in the tank with the fry?

I saw the female eat one fry because she didn't spit it out. But the male spit it out...I thought the fry was dead though because it didn't appear to be moving...I might have been wrong. There is nobody in the tank but the fry. Would the fry survive without the parents, or is it best to put them back? Have you ever had krib fry?

Since you have already moved the parents out and you think they are eating the fry, I would leave the fry in the tank by themselves.

Feed them crushed up flakes and first bites. Use a turkey baster to get the food down to where they are.

I knew someone was going to say that right after I put the parents back. I first put the mother back...and she swam to her babies and the babies started dancing literally lol. And she started puting the babies that scattered all over the tank in her mouth and moving them all to one place ( away from the filter intake tube which I think is the safest place). She is smart! haha. So she wasn't eating them after all. I feel stupid for transfering the parents in the first place now.

I'm happy everything worked out. Kribensis and most cichlids are very protective and extremely good parents. That is exactly why I got into cichlids. Good job! :D

thanks! I got to say it is amazing to watch...the female takes the babies for trips around the tank! And then the father stays with them while the mom searches for food. I can't pull my away from the tank now. lol.

I forgot that after they hatch, it normaly takes about 3-5 days before they are free swimming so the parents will actually scoop them up in there mouth and take them around to search for food.

Usually around the plants because there are tiny organisms and algae that the fry will eat.

Back
Top Bottom