Picture Request Tank with Black Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lawngnome

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone I am looking for pictures of tanks with black backgrounds and white or black/dark colored gravel. Im not concerned with the size, it will all give me an idea.
Thanks in advance:BIG:

That's an old photo of mine, not the best but it's all I had on my iPad for now, it's also a little cloudy in there..

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Attachments

• image-350045563.jpg
    image-350045563.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 316
Nah, it's an aquarium background that is black on one side and dark blue on the other (reversible) it is the same stuff that the printed aquarium backgrounds are made of, you just have to sticky tape it to the back of the aquarium, nothing fancy..

Here is a shot of my 30 gal cube. Its a challenge because I have to make it look great from three angles.

Attachments

• Black .jpg
    Black .jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Here's our 40g. Spray painted black back-ground, a mix of Eco-Complete (black) and 3M black color quartz T grade for substrate.

Attachments

• IMG_5450.jpg
    IMG_5450.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 293
And finally, our 80g brackish water tank after the re-model. 3M black color quartz T grade for substrate, burlap material for background.

I'll stop adding pics now. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5316.JPG
    IMG_5316.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 272
Just had to say great tank!

You too, Dragon. LOVE the first tank!

We put a lot of work into that one. It originally had black sand but we took it out thinking it was the root of our pH issues. When we changed to the Eco/3M mix, we found it wasn't the problem. Now we run CO2 for the plants and our pH stays steady at 6.5 even with a water change.

WOW, thanks everyone. Beautiful tanks though I am still torn on gravel color but either way, white or black they both look great.

Just an FYI, I'm kicking myself in the butt for the white gravel. If I get any kind of algae growth starting, it shows up against the white. I have to clean that tank once a week to keep the white looking white. Same with our sand tanks, but I do love my white sand beach look.

I'll throw in an opinion, I have the white gravel at the front leading to a speckled river pebble in the background, was part of a bigger plan to aquascape more professionally, but that never happened, lol. I find the white background really washes out the finer details of community fish unless you're parked right in front of the tank, all the subtle green and blue pearlescence is lost unless you have your nose against the tank, which is contradictory against what I had read that dark tanks can wash out the fish colours.... My next tank will have a dark gravel so time will tell which I prefer to make the fish "pop"..

Room lights on.
day2t.jpg

Room lights off.
img3597.jpg

Light actually bounces off the lighter objects. If you have a dark background AND dark gravel, your fish will only be lit from the top. Honestly, try holding a piece of paper flat below someone's chin and watch their face light from the bottom when there's no light source down there. You'll actually see less of a vibrance from your fish if you use a dark substrate... :)

Back
Top Bottom