Pictures: Tropheus Black "Kiriza"... fry count is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownBullhead

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I had to do a major cleaning on the 150-gallon... alot of accumulated waste on the bottom... damn hard to clean the 30" deep tank... that is a major reason why I want to sell it...

Anyway, I caught all the Tropheus Black "Kiriza" fry I could find... and it turns out I now have a total of 17! And, I still have 3 females holding! I found my first fry August 25... my females are all kind of small and seem to spit few fry, but I've never had any other spawns, ever, so who am I to complain? :)

Anyway, I threw them in a breeder trap for a few quick photos, and then I transferred them into the 55-gallon with the T. Moorii "Nkonde" as it's easier to keep an eye on them in there.

Click the thumbnail to see the full size images. Enjoy!

Well, things have definitely taken a turn for the worse... after getting well over 30 fry... I ran into the proverbial wall, and I'm still not sure what happened.

I noticed in recent weeks that the number of fry showing themselves from the rocks at feeding time had decreased A LOT. I figured "No worries, they're just being skittish." Well, after about 10 days of this, I decided to tear apart the rock work during some maintenance. Every time I moved rocks, fry carcasses were stirred about! :( After all of this, there was 12 fry that had survived.

Water parameters all checked out within normal parameters, and no new tank mates to speak of... not sure what happened... but anyway I took my 12 remaining fry in for trade at local store and write it off as a learning experience.

Actually, I no longer have ANY Kiriza... took my remaining 10 (yes, only 10) adults in for trade at another store that had room for them. :( I will detail this situation in another post. I am certainly hitting a tough snag on the "learning curve" for these fish. I was doing so well for a while and now have some issues. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom