Plants are doing well, maybe too well!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digitalgerl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone have any ideas on making this aquascape look better?
I have been using Co2 and my plants have really taken off. I have been pruning to keep up appearance but think it could definitely look better :eek:

Thanks

Attachments

• tank 2008 for upload.jpg
    tank 2008 for upload.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 84
  • tank 2008 for upload 2.jpg
    tank 2008 for upload 2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 133
  • male highfin platy.jpg
    male highfin platy.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 327
  • female redswag lyretail.jpg
    female redswag lyretail.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 84
Looks like there is some L. aromatica in there, it's lost it's lower leaves so I'm thinking that it may not have quite enough light.

I'd try to get that grassy plant in the foreground to spread a bit more and create a nice carpet. I like the looks of the Hydrocotyl that you have in the front corners but I was never able to get it to fit into a scape very well. Maybe another bunch of stem plants with a different leaf shape in the back right corner (R. rotundifolia comes to mind, or maybe Lobelia cardinalis), and remove the Hydrocotyl from the right front corner?

Just suggestions, but you're definitely on the right track and your plants look great.

Thanks guys for your input. I really appreciate it! I'll see what I can do - our fish store is somewhat limited so it takes some time to get in any requests-lol.

If you figure out some plants you'd like to try, post in the classifieds or barter/trade with the plants you'd like and I'm sure there will be folks willing to send you some clippings. Or, try Aquabid, there are lots of plants available there, many folks here (me included) particularly like the seller Lowcoaster.

plants look great i would pic a basic style that you want concave convex or triangle and work with them plants then add more as you need them

maybe a bit more hardscape. a few large river rocks possibly.

I agree with all who have posted so far and also suggest a rock or three (odd numbers seem more natural) I like the looks of rocks at the base of larger plants...as though they are sprouting out of a pile of them, it seems to soften the line from the plant to the substrate.

Overall I think it looks great. Some more color and maybe a larger leaf shape would be all I could think to add beyond a bit more hardscape.

Nice work!

Back
Top Bottom