Post Pictures of Your Anthias!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
I personally don't have one, but if you do post it! If you want to, you can include any information on the species! Thanks.

I know you seen him in my thread, but here u go.

Last edited:
I know you seen him in my thread, but here u go.
Thanks for posting Kio, can't wait until I can get one of my own! I just want to make sure it eats (I hear some don't take a liking to prepared foods).

redsea said:
Thanks for posting Kio, can't wait until I can get one of my own! I just want to make sure it eats (I hear some don't take a liking to prepared foods).

Mine eats frozen foods very well... Have them feed it before u buy it.

Of course I have to add a photo of mine. :) It's a male squareback anthias, one of the larger fish out of the anthias's. he is eating frozen food very well, in fact it seems too well, he eats like he's starving all the time. LOL he does eat the flake food but spits it right out so I don't think I'll have any luck with that.

img_1603296_0_692c0d24d7d4682aba1e9d443d4da7af.jpg

Of course I have to add a photo of mine. :) It's a male squareback anthias, one of the larger fish out of the anthias's. he is eating frozen food very well, in fact it seems too well, he eats like he's starving all the time. LOL he does eat the flake food but spits it right out so I don't think I'll have any luck with that.

img_1603303_0_692c0d24d7d4682aba1e9d443d4da7af.jpg

He looks fantastic! I was thinking of one of these when I upgrade with a few females too!

I've read that they can be weaned onto pellets and flake but mine doesnt seem to be wanting any part of it. LOL Maybe once he's in the big tank he will catch on. hehe Here's hoping...I know the anthias's have a high metabolism and require alot of food so anything he consumes would make me happy.

I've read that they can be weaned onto pellets and flake but mine doesnt seem to be wanting any part of it. LOL Maybe once he's in the big tank he will catch on. hehe Here's hoping...I know the anthias's have a high metabolism and require alot of food so anything he consumes would make me happy.
Yep, that makes sense about the high matobolism, I remember reading that you had to feed them 3-4 times a day in the book Marine Fishes. I want one badly, I need to get my 180g! I think I am going to get the fixture you were talking about with the moonlights. As for the sump, filter, protein skimmer, I am not sure about those yet, LOL.

My new lyretail anthias that I got a month ago.

img_20111009_123826.jpg
Yours look great melosu, I really like the male with the hi-fin!
Does anyone know if different species of Anthias will get along together? I know I will probably do at least a trio. :)

I've been feeding about 3 times a day for now, hopefully he will be fine in the big tank getting fed once or twice a day. They also eat out of the water column so I hope he can avail himself of that food so I don't have to overfeed the 125!

I've been feeding about 3 times a day for now, hopefully he will be fine in the big tank getting fed once or twice a day. They also eat out of the water column so I hope he can avail himself of that food so I don't have to overfeed the 125!
That's cool, do they eat plankton?

Per Live Aquaria

The diet is consistent with other members of the Anthias group - zooplankton and floating filamentous algae. In the aquarium, the Lyretail Anthias should be fed a varied diet of mysis shrimp, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, frozen preparations and other meaty items for zooplankton feeders. The Lyretail Anthias prefers to be fed small quantities, several times daily.

Per Live Aquaria

The diet is consistent with other members of the Anthias group - zooplankton and floating filamentous algae. In the aquarium, the Lyretail Anthias should be fed a varied diet of mysis shrimp, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, frozen preparations and other meaty items for zooplankton feeders. The Lyretail Anthias prefers to be fed small quantities, several times daily.
Thanks for the info, you gotta love LA! Does yours eat any Nori?

Last edited:
To be honest I havent tried it yet in the qt. :) I do keep one up most of the time in the 125g so maybe he will try some in there, that is if the tangs let him get near it, they LOVE their seaweed sheets!

since I've had the anthias for over 2 weeks I think I can safely say he is the dopiest fish I own. LOL he just has this dopey look to him and when he feeds he's a spaz. Still a beautiful fish! I saw a female squareback yesterday and I was very tempted to add her too but the tank is pretty much fully stocked. :-(

To be honest I havent tried it yet in the qt. :) I do keep one up most of the time in the 125g so maybe he will try some in there, that is if the tangs let him get near it, they LOVE their seaweed sheets!

since I've had the anthias for over 2 weeks I think I can safely say he is the dopiest fish I own. LOL he just has this dopey look to him and when he feeds he's a spaz. Still a beautiful fish! I saw a female squareback yesterday and I was very tempted to add her too but the tank is pretty much fully stocked. :-(
Haha, Tangs sure do love their seaweed! Glad the Anthias is doing well! It Is good you don't have the "just one more fish" syndrome, I think I may have a little bit of that :hide:, LOL

Luckily I have the 90g to look forward to in order to get my fish fix. lol

I have that problem with the 20g though, I keep adding more fish, I just say "one more" and then get it. I should learn my lesson you'd think. This last fish isnt even suited for a 20g so maybe that'll teach me LOL

Back
Top Bottom