Post your DSLR or Mirrorless ILC pics here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Whether it be SW or FW, full tank shots, interesting and creative shots, livestock, or just some nice photo you'd like the share (i.e. pets, vacation, etc.), if you have a DSLR or Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera (ILC), lets see the pics! :brows:

Showcase those photo skills or learn some new ones. Post to showoff those nice pics or ask to get constructive criticism and learn. This is the thread to do it!

***If possible, (and for learning purposes) please include the camera it was taken with, lens, and settings.***

:thanks:

Last edited:
I'll start... first off, I'm new to photography. I was going to get a DSLR but I decided on a mirrorless ILC, the Samsung NX300. Now I have two hobbies which I enjoy right now... aquascaping and photography.

FTS (NX300, 18mm, F/7, ISO-100, 3 sec exposure in Shutter Priority mode) -- my setting were all crazy. Not sure what I'm doing.
ibbM1cAT9saInH.jpg

Ember Tetra (NX300, 37mm, F/6.3, ISO-1600, 1/160 sec., Aperture Priority)
ibwf3S255qEBwf.jpg

Here's a pic of our female Pom, Kitsu. Photo was taken with NX300 on Aperture Priority Mode F/2 with a 30mm prime. There's some blurriness due to it being a handheld shot. Should have used a tripod. :banghead:
iylIpQ4KVTPO1.jpg

Please feel free to give me constructive criticism or suggest some photo techniques. I'm a newbie trying to learn.

Last edited:
The kitsu looks sharp on the nose, normally pets or animals focus on the eyes, that's what they normally do, it's not a criticism though, here is why, at f/2 you have a small depth of field, see hyperfocal focus. It depends on distance aperture and focal length. Try the same shot at f/8.

Normally 1 1/2 times focal length is enough to combat blur, that is another factor as to why I believe the shot isn't blurred on your handling technique. 30mm @ f/2 (looking at the pic I'd say) 2ft or 60cms distance to target. That will give you a depth of field around 3cm, about 1.2" which looks about right.

Edit/ you can see the increased DOF in the top tank picture at f/7 this is of course affected by the 18mm lens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom