post your pictures of your shrimp here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok ...... So does anyone know????? Please let me know what it is because now I have another shrimp who is starting to do the same thing . I have just done a full water change to make sure its not my water......

Could be eggs. Or the fact that YOU'RE YELLING AT IT!

:ROFLMAO: well done!

Ok ...... So does anyone know????? Please let me know what it is because now I have another shrimp who is starting to do the same thing . I have just done a full water change to make sure its not my water......

What are you feeding them? What are your readings? What else is in the tank?

What is your pH and are they molting successfully? If your pH is not healthy for them, they may not be able to molt completely and sadly, many die as a result.

It's amazing what google can do..... read this, it's chock full of information:
Almost always a dwarf shrimp (whether you are talking Ghost Shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp, etc.) that turns a dark opaque white and stays that way is dying. It may die tomorrow; it may die in a week, it may die in several weeks. But once they turn that deep opaque, it is over. It's like a person having a diagnosis of some form of incurable cancer; they might hang on for quite a while, but there is no "getting better."

This is different from the slight milkiness that others have mentioned, of a shrimp about to molt. Some do this more than others. Many ghost shrimp I've kept do not have the faintest hint of milkiness, even at molting times.

A few other general thoughts about things brought up in this thread:

• Yes, shrimp require calcium. If you have relatively hard water and you are good about doing water changes, that should provide them with all they need. Feeding with a calcium-enriched food maybe once a week (like Hikari Crab Cuisine) certainly won't hurt and could be helpful in this regard, especially if your water isn't all that hard. Fresh, blanched spinach also is high in calcium.
  • The trace levels of iodine found in tap water is more than sufficient for dwarf shrimp. I've kept & bred multiple species of shrimp for 7+ years now, and chat regularly with some of the top shrimpbreeders in the entire USA, and none of us have ever dosed iodine, in any amount, in any of our tanks. If you are using 100% distilled or RO water then maybe there would be need for iodine supplementation, but everyone I know who uses pure RO water adds mineral salts/buffers of some sort to the water after it comes out of the RO system and that provides whatever traces of iodine are needed. While small amounts of iodine probably won't hurt anything, keep in mind iodine is an antiseptic and overdosing it could cause problems with the bacteria of your biofilter as well as with the natural biofilm in the tank that makes up the major part of the shrimps' diet. If your shrimp aren't doing well there are probably 8,000 potential causes I would identify as being more likely to be the explanation than iodine deficiency.
  • While there are several species of shrimp sometimes sold in pet stores as Ghost Shrimp (or Glass Shrimp), by far the most common, Palaemonetes paludosus, is a pure freshwater shrimp that does not require brackish conditions even for breeding. However, the young have a larval stage where they require large amounts of micro-food in the water column and typically they do not find sufficient quantities of it in an average aquarium, and so they die within a few days of hatching. Very old established tanks, especially ones that are heavily planted with lots of decaying plant matter, mulm, etc. might support enough of such microscopic life to keep the larval shrimps alive until they metamorphasize into their usual "walking" form, where they can crawl on the substrate and plants and find food like the adults do. This is a different issue from, say, Amano Shrimp (Caridina multidentata, another popular shrimp in the hobby), where the larvae require brackish-to-full-strength-saltwater to survive the larval stage.
  • When shrimp molt, leave their shells in the tank. The shrimps themselves, as well as snails (if you have them), will eventually eat them to re-absorb the calcium that is in them.
  • Nitrates of 40 ppm are high for shrimp--though Ghost Shrimp are perhaps a bit more tolerant of higher nitrates than other species. I know with RCS and similar species, at nitrate levels of 20 ppm I begin seeing an impact on the shrimp especially in terms of breeding (frequency & survival rate of the baby shrimplets). People I know who keep some of the more sensitive species (Crystal Red Shrimp, Tigers, etc.) often start seeing negative effects as low as 10 ppm.
Hope that helps some. Enjoy your shrimp!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/white-opaque-ghost-shrimp-36562-3.html

lol forgot to post some of mine...
red cherries

also have a camel shrimp but i just cleaned the tank so the sands a little stirred up...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 100
absolutangel04 said:
Redsea, thats a great shot and a gorgeous fire shrimp! He looks especially nice against the white coral/sand. :)

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

This Fire Shrimp is almost always in view, whereas my other one was constantly hiding, so that is a plus!

animalzrok2 said:
no more shrimp pics? :(

Here is a picture of all of my shrimp on a rock. (Except for my Peppermint).

Attachments

• image-1940408236.jpg
    image-1940408236.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 78
Not the greatest shot, but here's a recent pic of one of my Bumble Bee shrimp.

379376_2664793908282_1509052066_32680346_1448749374_n.jpg

if your water conditions are bad then yes but if you have great water conditions then no.

cool, thanks.. & just so its known (lol) my crayfish never once tried getting out but i have a friend who always had his crawling through the living room.. makes sense since he was BEYOND overstocked

My red cherry. One of many in my 20 gallon.

Attachments

• image-2219453269.jpg
    image-2219453269.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 72
Thanks, if you can believe it the shot was the iPhone 4 camera. The shrimps are from serverum mamma and hn1. Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom