Red Wolf finally hits 8"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudfrog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After about a year of waiting this little guy has finally bulked up. For those who do not know the supposed max size is 8" (some say 10" in the wild). I've only seen 1 or 2 other one's at this size so it's a good milestone to hit. Anyway enough talk, how about some pics :)

img_966026_0_de6f8f373f1c6a49d1cbcd0c9e334c7f.jpg

img_966026_1_756dd0c66bcdc56f4644c97ab568f982.jpg

img_966026_2_7aea01d1bd248a992555d6ead9654d57.jpg

LOL how you get him to swim next to that ruler and sit still?

LOL how you get him to swim next to that ruler and sit still?

He's on a towel on the floor. Wolf fish can breathe air and "walk" on land. They actually scoot across the floor which is funny. It took a little while for him to settle down to snap the pic, he kept taking off across the floor :D

Obviously it's stressful to him so I do not do that often. Maybe once every 6 months to check his growth rate ;)

Ooh ok did't know that. Very cool. Now that I look at it of corse that is a towel. lol I need more coffee.

we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of my son's wolf fish. It is very interesting to know how big your was when you got it and what his diet consists of.... more info please

Do you know what species of wolf he ordered? This Red Wolf Fish is not as common as the one known as a "mala" (Hoplias malabaricus - the one in my avatar). I'd be more then happy to give you some care information if you could tell me which one it is.

Also what size tank is he going in and any tankmates?

im ordering two hoplias malabaricus and a managuense, in a 45 gallon high. i have a sleeping goby and a dempsey. what did you feed yours to get it 8'' and how often?

Don't do it..

None of those fish are small enough to stay in a 45 high. Hoplias malabaricus reach a size of 24"!! Plus they must live alone as they are extremely aggressive. Mine is 10" and still a baby but he has killed every single tankmate I've put in with him. He's in a tank with a footprint of 48"x18".

A Manguense will reach 14-16" and the sleeper goby depending on which species will reach 8-24" as well. Your asking for a total disaster.

Back
Top Bottom