Switched from gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DjBootleg

Aquarium Advice Freak
Super happy with the out come. When I bought the 30 Gallon (the 5 original African Cihlids were in) it came with the ugly blue and purple gravel. Took it out yesterday and did the switcheroo lol.

Whatcha think???

Attachments

• image-2510447557.jpg
    image-2510447557.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 118
  • image-1777549045.jpg
    image-1777549045.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 114
I love the sand! The blue gravel makes it look a but trashy IMO because you have natural looking ornamints and the sand compliments that, I have a question. I se you have terra cotta pots. To get I'm the way they are, did you cut or just like smack em in a table?

I love the sand! The blue gravel makes it look a but trashy IMO because you have natural looking ornamints and the sand compliments that, I have a question. I se you have terra cotta pots. To get I'm the way they are, did you cut or just like smack em in a table?

Thanks for the compliments..

About the pots..
Lol I can't tell if your being sarcastic or actually asking how I did it....

Lol haha I just wanted to make sure breaking them wouldn't harm fishes find because if sharp edges!

Is there any advantage with sand over gravel?
Tank looks cool with it and really nice setup.

Gravel
More oxygen for the root of the plants
Little easier to clean
Looks cleaner (poop and such sits at the top of sand)
More room for beneficial bacteria to live

Sand
Better for African Cichlids (why I switched)
Easier to clean with a vacuum (just lightly go over the sand to pick up the poop etc.)
Better for shrimp and bottom feeders (food lays on top doesn't hide like in gravel)
Better for live plants and fake plants (holds them down better)

those are just the basic pros and cons..

Lol haha I just wanted to make sure breaking them wouldn't harm fishes find because if sharp edges!

True.. I was also concerned at first when I broke a smaller pot and put it in my 20 Gallon. And so far (been almost a year) no fish have been harmed by it... And they are always going in and out of it..

Gravel
More oxygen for the root of the plants
Little easier to clean
Looks cleaner (poop and such sits at the top of sand)
More room for beneficial bacteria to live

Sand
Better for African Cichlids (why I switched)
Easier to clean with a vacuum (just lightly go over the sand to pick up the poop etc.)
Better for shrimp and bottom feeders (food lays on top doesn't hide like in gravel)
Better for live plants and fake plants (holds them down better)

those are just the basic pros and cons..

Thanks for that :) its good to know an understand that its not always just a cosmetic thing.

Back
Top Bottom