Taking a pictures of fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,
I recently had a sick fish and was trying to take pictures of it for help with a diagnosis. I used my phone, regular digital camera and a high-end digital camera. All of these gave blurred and grainy results leading to making it impossible to get any help. Do any of you have tips on taking pics of fish? I have seen some great pictures on this forum.
Thanks

Amicus said:
Hi all,
I recently had a sick fish and was trying to take pictures of it for help with a diagnosis. I used my phone, regular digital camera and a high-end digital camera. All of these gave blurred and grainy results leading to making it impossible to get any help. Do any of you have tips on taking pics of fish? I have seen some great pictures on this forum.
Thanks

My camera (nothing super fancy...just a Sony Cybershot) has an ISO setting for low light, high resolution. I've found that setting as well as macro (close up) mode works best for taking shots of inside the tank. Obviously flashes aren't going to be helpful with the reflection.

I use one of those big nikon digital cameras, it's like 18 megapixels and it works great. It's not a pocket sized small digital, but a bigger one similar to what photographers use.

I use one of those Nikon cameras, they capture really good photos and even things moving like 20 mph, like my fish or people playing soccer, got it for my birthday. But the only problem is that it costs...well 400$...

The keys to getting a good picture, imo, are good lighting and fast shutter speeds. Ideally, you don't want to use a flash when taking tank pics. Fish are very active and will not "pose" for the camera so you really need fast shutter speeds. That's where the lighting comes in. The more light on the subject, the faster the shutter. You can change your ISO setting to help increase your shutter speeds but that will create more of that grainy look. Changing your f-stop to a lower "number" will also help increase your shutter speed. A large aperature opening decreases your depth of field (how much of the picture will actually be in focus). I recommend adding other sources of light to help illuminate your tank, just don't aim them directly at the glass. I would try and aim the light from the top of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom