Today In The Fishroom~5/31/11 P. Fredrichsthali Light Set Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquamojo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Going along the same vane as a previous post on a light set up for the Zonatum. My goal her was to light the fish both top and bottom as I have previously. The problem I have had in the past is adjusting the lower flash to a point where the light would illuminate the bottom of the fish while eliminating any hot spots. I was looking for an "evenly lit" top and bottom photo.

Here's a shot of the female...a new bride for my F0 male P. fredrichsthali "Yellow Head". He has killed the last two. She is much smaller as you will see in the photos. The male is about a foot long with beautiful trailers. This was a good photo, but I thought the bottom light was too hot. Dramatic lighting, yes...but not what I was looking for.

Fredrocshsthali-952.jpg

Here's the lighting set up. On top were two Nikon SB-800 flash units with Gary Fong Lightsphere diffusers. That bell shaped diffuser throws two cones of light down onto the subjects. The Nikon Sb900 flash is attached to a Graslon diffuser. As you can see it is a much larger (and softer light focus)

Freddie-light-set-up.jpg

If you look at the picture of the fish, you can see how the light is falling on the fish. Take a good look at the light from below. By adjusting the output of this light on the bottom I was able to get these photos.

OK light

Fredrocshsthali-956.jpg

Fredrocshsthali-955.jpg

Perfect light

Fredrocshsthali-954.jpg

Fredrocshsthali-953.jpg

Not the best aesthetic shot...but spot on light top and bottom of this beautiful species of cichlid. The male is about a foot long.

Fredrocshsthali-951.jpg

Back
Top Bottom