very first tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tfast500

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My very first tank - 10 gallon

First tank 10 gallon no fish yet :fish2:

Attachments

• IMG_20120417_004024.jpg
    IMG_20120417_004024.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 158
Thanks everyone! I am still looking at fish and doing research to see all my possibilities I don't want to kill any fish because of my lack of knowledge :facepalm: I am going to get water tested today or tomorrow.

took my water in to get tested and it checked out good so I bought 3 fish to see how well they do

Long Fin Red Minor Tetra x2
Black Kuhlii Loach x1

I also bought two lilly bulbs to see if they will actually sprout and grow

I want to get a few glow fish and two frogs

Hey greetings from Northern Colorado. Congrats on your new tank. Take it slowly adding fish. Enjoy, they are so fun to watch. Some where on AA is a thread for which fish not go get, try to find it and don't get fish on the list!!!

Autumnsky said:
Hey greetings from Northern Colorado. Congrats on your new tank. Take it slowly adding fish. Enjoy, they are so fun to watch. Some where on AA is a thread for which fish not go get, try to find it and don't get fish on the list!!!

Thanks! Ill look for that post! Also where in Colorado?

I briefly looked for it but couldn't find the link for you, sorry. it might be "top ten" or 10 not to buy.

Basically it is fish which are normally for sale in the fish stores but are a bad purchase, mostly because of how big they would get, and a couple due to disease.

Clown Loach 8+ inchs long and big
Silver Dollars size of a dinner plate
Gold fish 10"-12/18"
Most Plecostomous 18"
Neons - Neon disease
Dwarf Gouramis - Dwarf Gourami Disease
Bichters, Knife fish, Eels get really big
Also many catfish get too big for a community fish tank (eat what fits into mouth), they have big mouths!!!
... there are more i can't think of atm.

You should get a testing kit, at minimum test strips, everyone says just buy the master test kit because you will use it for ever and it gives more accurate readings.

Depending on your readings would be how much water to change, lower levels (safe zone) of bad stuff less water 25%, higher dangerous levels more 50%, also maybe change 2x, like am/pm in same day if you have dangerous levels.

Do you have any friends with healthy tanks and a good used filter, or you can piggyback a clean new filter behind their old one to get some good bacteria.

Just do a search here for humane fish in cycle, or fish in cycle (or cycling), at least one of the guys on here has a step by step.

Look up Jetajockey here in search box, he is the one I was thinking of with the step by step fish in cycle, just click on the link in his signature.

Thanks I will look up that information! I am going to go see if i can buy the master test kit today.

If I cant find it in store ill just buy some test strips but thanks for all the help these forums are great!!!

Back
Top Bottom