Which digital SLR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking at getting a digital SLR. I want something i can grow into and use for a while. Something that takes awesome pictures. Which camera would you guys suggest right now?

That's not a bad price for what you get. I guess i'd like a little more megapixels than that. Three of the cameras that i'm really considering is the Canon Rebel XT, Nikon D50, and Canon 20D. Just can't decide what i should get.

Also, does anyone know about any new cameras set to release soon that i should hold off and wait for?

I'm just copying and pasting my response to your PM in here, so it will look like a weird response to some.

Not so recently, I've had the 20d for a year now ;)

If I were buying a "semi-pro" dslr today, I would get the Nikon D200 (provided I didn't have any lenses for another brand of camera), but....I would hold out to see what canon comes out with at PMA, the 20D has been discontinued (and is scheduled to be replaced this spring, with the announcements of it's replacement at PMA later this month) so you can find it cheap, people are already selling used bodies in anticipation of the new model, so you can pick up a nice used unit fairly cheap, or you can wait and see what they come out with in answer to the D200. And then choose from there.

IMO, the rebel XT is not a semi-pro dslr, it's an entry levels dsrl. It's a nice camera but the build quality alone makes the 20d worth the difference, not to mention the other differences. You got to ask yourself if you would actually take advantages of the difference, provided you feel OK carrying around a plastic camera.

I should also point out when you puchase a dslr your buying into a lens system, and lenses (good sharp lenses) ain't cheap. If you scrimp anywhere....scrimp on the camera body and buy good glass. Camera bodies will come and go, but glass will move from one body to the next. That is the main reason I mentioned used cameras, if you can get a great deal on a used 20d or dy0 or etc...you can afford to spend more on lenses, which will improve your photos much more than the best camera body.

what do you think about a used Canon 10D? Those are going for like maybe 300-500 bucks. I know it's an older camera.

Also, besides ebay, where would you look for used dslr cameras for sale?

TIA

well, i picked up a canon 10d. Long story but i'm getting a free sigma 70-300 APO macro II lens froma guy who backed out on a previous sale. I'm not sure if this lens will be good for taking pics of the aquarium, so i might need to looking into the 28-135 you talked about.

Back
Top Bottom