10 gallon canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadrider5953

Aquarium Advice Freak
i made this canopy in a program called sketchup because i am going to build a canopy to house the 2x13 kit from ahsupply.com that i eventually will get. if you have a 10 gallon tank this is the frmaing you could do.
it is made with 2x2s.

i can make larger canopy framing in this program if you want me to.
just pm with dimensions and such and i will try doing it. just give me about a week to finish.

Kyle

Attachments

• canopy_framing_173.jpg
    canopy_framing_173.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 156
um... what are you planning on using to make that canopy? with a 5" height, and a 2-1/2" leg, you end up with 1-1/4" inch on for the top and bottom rails. standard lumber does not come in a 1-1/4 " dimension. so, unless you plan on ripping lumber down to the thickness you need, i would suggest you change the thickness to 1-1/2" inches (for 2" lumber) and update your dimensions. (it looks like all your pieces are 1-1/4" thick). also, 2x2 lumber is a bit of overkill for this design. you could use a 1x2 and have a strong design that will hold any light for a 10 gal tank.

im not saying that this design wouldnt work, im just saying it would be a lot of unnecessary work to get the dimensions you specified...

~mike

Haha you want overkill, my 10g hood is made of 4x2's and 3/8" plywood...

All I had lying around haha. I could jump on the thing and it wouldn't break.

mp3z24 said:
um... what are you planning on using to make that canopy? with a 5" height, and a 2-1/2" leg, you end up with 1-1/4" inch on for the top and bottom rails. standard lumber does not come in a 1-1/4 " dimension. so, unless you plan on ripping lumber down to the thickness you need, i would suggest you change the thickness to 1-1/2" inches (for 2" lumber) and update your dimensions. (it looks like all your pieces are 1-1/4" thick). also, 2x2 lumber is a bit of overkill for this design. you could use a 1x2 and have a strong design that will hold any light for a 10 gal tank.

im not saying that this design wouldnt work, im just saying it would be a lot of unnecessary work to get the dimensions you specified...

~mike

Mike, not to offend you but the wood i was using is 2x2, there actual dimensions are 1.25x1.25, it is the wood you use for railings on decks(between top and botton rails). the 2x2 are what my dad had (im 14) and i made a prototype last week but i messed up on measurements. i planned on using these because my dad has about 4 bundles of 16 so if i mess up i have a lot of extra.

quadrider5953 said:
Mike, not to offend you but the wood i was using is 2x2, there actual dimensions are 1.25x1.25, it is the wood you use for railings on decks(between top and botton rails). the 2x2 are what my dad had (im 14) and i made a prototype last week but i messed up on measurements. i planned on using these because my dad has about 4 bundles of 16 so if i mess up i have a lot of extra.
no offense taken... just wanted to make sure you were not making a mistake in your design. i incorrectly assumed that you were using pine or poplar (or something else) lumber from the a home depot, menards, lowes, etc. in that case, the dims would have been different than what you modeled. since you have measured the wood and it is 1.25 inches... then the dims you used are correct.

fyi, if they are the uprights that are used on railings, then they are called "Balusters"... just a little useless (or usefull) knowlege for the day.

have fun building... :lol:

~mike

civic man, the program i am using is sketchup 5.0 from http://sketchup.com , they have an 8 hour trial version. it is really easy once you get to know it, it took me about 15 minutes to get to know how to use it, and you can make really good thins, just look at the gallery to see what i mean

Back
Top Bottom