108 gallon stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good! I'm j00aealous of your work shop! :) I wish I had the space to lay my stuff out like that.

Are you wrapping the stand in plywood? If so what are you planning on using? I really like the way my 1/4" birch covered. Some trim on the bottom would look sharp and is fairly cheap. I used a casing for the top of the stand and made it flush with the top.

I really like the way it looks with the trim, not just a wooden box painted black, makes it look like furniture. :)

i am wrapping the stand with mdf. it is very easy to shape and work with... i am making a top for the aquarium also, its going to look real sharp. the whole stand and top will look like a nice piece of furniture when im done . i will probably be bringing this heavy baby in from the garage and in to the basement this weekend.... i will definetly have more pics to share.....

hi everyone, here is the finished stand ... the construction is finally done , all that is left to do is to paint it ... :D:D:D:D:D:D i finished the hood or canopy for the aquarium also it opens up in two seperate doors on top to feed or for cleaning.....

Attachments

• 100_2250.jpg
    100_2250.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_2246.jpg
    100_2246.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_2249.jpg
    100_2249.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 100_2247.jpg
    100_2247.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 53
The Stand and Canopy looks Sharp. Great craftsman ship. Great job. Can't wait to see the aquarium setup.....

Very nice! Puts my stand to shame! LOL. Can't wait to see it painted... oh yea.. and the aquarium! :)

A question for you though..

I've never owned a big tank or built a canopy... so ..

Doe's the canopy just sit on the aquarium? Holding all the weight?

A question for you though..

I've never owned a big tank or built a canopy... so ..

Doe's the canopy just sit on the aquarium? Holding all the weight?

Some will let the tank take the weight and others will attach them to the ceiling and let them hang over the tank.

the canopy is made 1/4" larger all around so that it will set down over the glass a little, and the way that i will have it rest on the aquarium is with steel angle brackets that screwed inside the canopy and the bracket will rest on top of the aquarium. the paint im using is an oil based epoxy paint that is high gloss and is good for wood and steel, so it should protect my brackets from rusting....thanks to all for the kind words and compliments.....PAT

Very nice! I'm currently building a stand for my 55g. My frame looks exactly like yours but i havent decided how i want the outside to look yet. Did you make the doors or are they prefabs? I really like them.

hi, thanks... all the panels were all hand made, i used the proper raised panel router bits to do the job. have a shop vac close by .... very dusty!!!! but the end product is well worth it. check into prefabs, if you dont have the router bits to make the doors it might be cheaper to buy them..... the style of doors is unlimited... its all about personal taste.... good luck with youre stand, oh yeah dont forget to take pics while you are building, we would love to have you share them with us , take care.. PAT.....

Im in love great job. I would like to make my next stand and that will be what I base it on. it has been said before but I must repeat it, great craftsmanship! I can only hope mine comes out that nice.

It looks very nice. The only thing I would do different is I wouldn't use 4 x 4s. they are typically made from the very centre of the log and are prone to twisting (I learned the hard way). I would use 2 2 x 4s instead. I hope it works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom