125 stand build question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a 2" solid slab of mahogany so it really allows me some freedom with the frame. Everything is Dado'd, predrilled, glued and screwed. There is a 2' rip of plywood along the back as a rack along with some diagonal bracing inside

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1408994327499.jpg
    1408994327499.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 1408994342774.jpg
    1408994342774.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 108
That looks pretty sturdy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I finished 2 1/2 of the leg supports. Im buying one 12 ft board at a time lol. I tried really hard to make this stand level but still ended up with the front and back having about 1/8 inch difference and the sides being about 1/16 inch off.

It's a 2" solid slab of mahogany so it really allows me some freedom with the frame. Everything is Dado'd, predrilled, glued and screwed. There is a 2' rip of plywood along the back as a rack along with some diagonal bracing inside

Would 1 2x10 in the middle on the front and back be enough support instead of 2 2x6s?

Would 1 2x10 in the middle on the front and back be enough support instead of 2 2x6s?

Yeh, should be ok, you'll be wayyyyyyy wayyyyyyy better off getting this thing dead nuts level. Trust me, a tweaked stand split a 40b like a pilsbury can. No biscuits though. It needs to be perfect. .

Yeh, should be ok, you'll be wayyyyyyy wayyyyyyy better off getting this thing dead nuts level. Trust me, a tweaked stand split a 40b like a pilsbury can. No biscuits though. It needs to be perfect. .

Yea I'm going to shim it once I'm done.

I'm trying to figure out a way to fit a 40b for a sump. Could I add 1 more 2x12 on each side for extra support and leave a 36" gap in the middle for the sump?

Do you think this will hold?

Looks good from my couch:)

Looks good from my couch:)

Is it necessary to wrap the stand in plywood to prevent racking?

Is it necessary to wrap the stand in plywood to prevent racking?

Not absolutely a must... I'd highly recommend some thing to keep it braced though?? Talk to me! What's the plan????????,

Not absolutely a must... I'd highly recommend some thing to keep it braced though?? Talk to me! What's the plan????????,

My plan was to leave it how it is now and put a 1 inch piece of plywood on top and put doors on it. The sides are completely covered with 2x6 and 2x8's.

This is what the sides looks like. 2 2x6's and 1 2x8. Keep in mind it still needs to be sanded and painted.

That should be ok, I'd add a rack brace on the back though, can be simple as a piece running from bottom left to top right diagonally, or just back it with a piece of 1/4" Luan plywood. $12 a sheet, glue it and nail or screw and never a worry..

Will do that sounds simple enough.
Thinking maybe adding 2 2x6's from left to right.

That should be ok, I'd add a rack brace on the back though, can be simple as a piece running from bottom left to top right diagonally, or just back it with a piece of 1/4" Luan plywood. $12 a sheet, glue it and nail or screw and never a worry..

Carpenter man help me out. I finished the stand and one of the corners is 1/8 inch off the top of the stand. Do I just take tank off and sand everything down on top to make it level.

You shimmed it level leaving the gap?

You shimmed it level leaving the gap?

I just just the shim to show how big the gap is. The back left side of the bottom frame is just floating there.

So how did we get there? Frame not level? Could you just glue a ton of shims in there to keep it solid?

So how did we get there? Frame not level? Could you just glue a ton of shims in there to keep it solid?

I measured the plywood on one side then the other and it 1/8 inch thicker on one side. Wth!!!

Back
Top Bottom