15 gal Hexagon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pizentios

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well i figure it's time i posted my build process for a (roughly) 15 gal hexagon shaped tank.

As the people that have read my member introduction thread i am in the process of getting back into the hobby. As with most things in my life i tend to jump fully into it. So this (for me) naturally means building all my own hardware etc....don't ask me why, i just like it that way. Plus i learn piles along the way about various things.

This tank will be roughly 15 gals. (likely a little bit less) and is 24" tall. In hind sight i should have likely went with a regular shaped tank (rectangle) as it would provide better space for the fish to swim. But this is why i build my own stuff, as the next tank will be better!

I've chosen 1/8 inch acrylic for the build....yes i know it's a little on the thin side, but i have incorporated a few things in the build process to help re-enforce it and hopefully make it stronger.

attachment.php

This is a pic of the tank after the basic shape had been made. It's made out of one chunk of material and the seam where the ends meet has been sealed with aquarium grade silicone. I also re-enforced the joint with machine screws and water tight washers. As i talked about above, it's all made with 1/8 inch material, so I've been trying to make things as strong as i can.I think by only having one seam and reenforcing said seam i should be ok.

attachment.php

This is a pic of the tank actually holding water (Yay!). The base for the tank is made from two chunks of 3/4 inch plywood with a square chunk of acrylic sandwiched in between them. I routered out 1/8 inch so that there is no gaps between the plywood and the acrylic sits nice and neat inside the base. The actual tank sits down 3/4 inch down into the base and meets up with the acrylic inside. It's been siliconed to the base and holds water just fine. I left the tank filled for 48 hours to pressure test it a bit before i continued on with the build. Believe it or not, the machine screws did not need any silicone at all as the water tight washers did their job. I will likely still give em a bit of silicone to ensure there are no issues with rust or anything like that.

attachment.php

Here's a picture of some of the plumbing dry fitted. I have built a weir for the tank to drain into a sump. I have also dry fitted the pump return.

attachment.php

Here's a close up of the weir. Green painters tape is there to hold it together while the silicone cures up. I clearly need to work on my silicone skills, looks a little messy, might end up building another one once i have the project completed.

Post continued in next post as i used up the picture upload limit for this post.

Attachments

• IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 441
  • IMAG0040.jpg
    IMAG0040.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 556
  • IMAG0041.jpg
    IMAG0041.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 390
  • IMAG0042.jpg
    IMAG0042.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 405
More pics!

attachment.php

Here's a view of the weir and pump return from the back side of the tank. Sorry about the quality as it was late and my hands were shaking from the amount of caffine in my blood (also was on a cell phone cam).

attachment.php

Close up of the pump return (dry fitted). I have been toying with the idea of fliping it the other way around so that i would get better circulation in the bottom of the tank.

That's it for now. Please leave comments etc so that i may improve on my building skills.

Cheers,

-Pizentios

PS: i am hoping to have more pictures later in the week.

Attachments

• IMAG0043.jpg
    IMAG0043.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 403
  • IMAG0044.jpg
    IMAG0044.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 374
Here's a picture of tonights progress. It will act as a small sump and house my filter and likely a air stone.

attachment.php

Edit: My upload last night didn't work. Uploaded the picture today.

Attachments

• IMAG0046.jpg
    IMAG0046.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 331
tornadonick said:
Looking good! sadly though, the shape is going to limit your options for stocking.

Yeah we were discussing that fact in another thread. However this tank will likely be in my office on my desk, thus the space restriction. I figure there's always time to make a bigger and better tank in the future. I also think there are some neat possibilities for aquascaping with this shape of tank.

Thanks for the reply and stay tuned!

PS: looks like my picture tonight didn't post, ill have to get it up tomorrow morning.

when filled with water is it bowing out near the top ? looks like you got a plan. good luck

Naw, It looks fine in person. I was taking the picture from a odd angle. I even measured to be sure after pressure testing it. Part of the reason it looks off is that the bend in the acrylic there isn't quite perfect, as it was done with a heat gun and clamps lol.

Thanks for the luck :)

Good news, my pump and the rest of my filter media showed up in the mail today.

I should have some more pictures later in the week of the tank setup and running

Back
Top Bottom