150 gallon Reseal Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is catastrophic failure possible.

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Maybe

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not a chance.

• Total voters

Kattycake

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I got a used 150 gallon tank with canopy and stand. I looked at the seal and it looks great. Haven't water tested it yet. But I had planned to reseal it no matter what because it has sat empty for almost 10 years. But the silicone is still blue and pristine. It's also 1/2 inch glass so this is a sturdy tank. So as I was reviewing posts on the daunting task of resealing. I came across a discussion where a person was warning that someone in a similar situation should just sell it and start with a new setup because if it did spring a leak it would cause a catastrophic failure that could kill people because of the weight of the water rock etc. I have never heard of a leak causing a tank to just basically explode. Cause major water damage. Destroy floors. Kill fish. Sheetrock. Etc. Sure. I am fully aware that those things happen. But if this thing could just rip apart at the seams and kill my kid I don't think I can deal with that. Even if I did reseal it I don't really trust that enough to risk my family's life. Has anyone ever heard of this? If a tank leaks doesn't it just leak? Any thoughts would be helpful.

14238903497_90c8491f4c_z.jpg
[/url]After silicone by Jamie Mcpeak, on Flickr\
}

Finding and fixing a leak.

14424225904_665c1c1a4f_z.jpg
[/url]Main baffle assembly by Jamie Mcpeak, on Flickr\
}

Resealing.

There are plenty of doom mongers when it comes to DIY tank repairs.
Follow the basic rules and you should be ok.
The only thing about a reseal it is very laborious, but take your time at each stage, especially where old silicone removal is concerned.

If the main joints look to be in good order it should be worth your time.

A well made tank shouldn't burst open. None of mine have and they are less than perfect builds!

I got a very old 125 gallon for $50 about 4 years ago. I read up on resealing it and bought a nifty little tool at home depot that cuts out silicone and then helps to make the seams look even. It was a pain but it worked out great.

Moving the tank afterwards I cracked the bottom of the tank. :eek: So, so, sad!! I started reading again and patched the bottom with glass and silicone. Then I began to worry and obsess about the repair and the safety of it.

I gave the tank to a guy who needed it for his fish breeding operation and he has been using it without issue these past 4 years. :fish2:

Granted, it wasn't as tall as your tank but maybe I should have kept it???? The only problem I have ever had was with a tank that someone sealed with house type silicone. The antifungal stuff leached out and killed my fish.

Use your own best judgement. Good luck!:)

I'm not sure I'd reseal it just because of the time it sat empty. Water doest keep silicone moist and pliable. And no I wouldn't worry to much about a catastrophic failure over a leak.

Scott

If you do reseal it, do yourself a favor and tape up the front and sides inside and out. This will help prevent the almost unavoidable slip of the razor scratching your tank.

Scott

about removing silicone

It sounds like you would be fine without touching anything.
1/2" glass gets a huge amount of contact area and if the ends of the glass where it overlaps are nice and solid and fairly bubble free, you're good to go.

If you really, really want to reseal, I can pass on one piece of invaluable information.

Once you hog out the bulk of the old silicone and have separated the sheets and scraped them smooth with an Olfa knife blade or razor blade, you'l be left with the reside film. This can be a pain to get off easily.
Enter : Loctite 7070 ODC Free Cleaner. It softens and cleans the residue enough that an Acetone wash will have it ready to seal. Then, a good dish soap and warm water scrub and rinse as your water rest
Use lots of paper towels and change to fresh ones often.

But don't bother with all that. Clean it as is with dish soap and water and rinse it well and you'll have a kick-*** tank as is.

Back
Top Bottom