#2: Lighting Ballasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I'll have 2 Fulham Workhorse 7s for my PCs, and 3 electronic MH ballasts. The reflector came with the mogul sockets and braces, with the braces riveted to the reflector. There's a hole in the middle of the brace and the reflector allowing the wires to go through to the side behind the reflector. I'm going to use U-nails (not hammered in all the way, but enough to keep the cables raised off the reflector) to support them. It came with about 8-10" of wire already wired to the mogul sockets. So, my question is this...it's not long enough to make it out of the hood, so how should I connect the wires to the ballast? Electrical tape, a cap, a cap filled with a non-conducting paste that will harden and keep moisture out, or should I just drill a hole in the top and pipe the wires out the top? I really don't want to do this, as it will make the hood look bad, but if I have to, I have to. My other question, where should I mount these ballasts? With the PCs, I have 8' moisture-proof endcaps, so I have about 8' to work with. Underneath the tank in the stand? On the wall off to the left (the right is where the sump is)? Where's a good place to keep them cool and away from moisture. Thanks!!

P.S. - Duplicate post, this post also appears in the general discussion forum, but I also wanted it here to get more exposure, esp. from the DIY crowd.

Use a combination of your ideas. First, get some wire nuts, fill them with some of that electrical grease, screw the nut onto the wires and then wrap the nut and about 3" with electrical tape. It's been a long time since I did any industrial wiring, but that's what we would do for systems that would be exposed to the elements as a secondary precaution. I don't really remember the name of the grease, but it should be available at homedepot.

Jim

Maynard!

Hey, I was looking for information on aquarium tops and I saw MAYNARD. I have never run into a Maynard admiring fish keeping person. Great.

Back
Top Bottom