200g Plywood Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope. Clear, black, white, blue and tan i think. The only pond store I found that had it only had black and clear. So I went with black for that reason. I thought clear would be pretty but that the wood grain would be distracting.

lol I love fiberglassing!

anyway, I was talking to my brother who is an engineer, he basically told me that glass and plywood are very similar in the amount of weight or tension they are able to hold/withstand, but plywood has a lot more ductility or elasicity which allows it to bow out under pressure.

a sheet fastened on all 4 edges is a lot less likely to bow out far enough to cause issues at seems, however he recommends a brace on the bottom and back to minimize this bowing effect over [time]

Thanks for the tip speakerman. The bottom will be on a stand so I dont think that'll be flexing too much but I may brace the back.

and yes. Ugh fiberglass. ;;
Pity me. I have to clean it out of my hair.
img_1012322_0_49976fe8a19f063c3ec17dd906f220a5.jpg

But the bottom's done!

this has got to be the longest thread in the shortest time. lol
i'm eventually gonna build one myself but i think i'm gonna use more of the plywood and go the full 96" length.
more screws doesnt necessarily mean stronger. if you put to many they can act as wedges and split the wood apart all the way down the edge. i dont think you will have any problems with bowing especially with oak furniture grade plywood. do you know how many plys (layers) it is?
it's looking like a great job. i was thinking of doing the round portholes on the sides myself.
burnt hair smell lingers in your nose just as long and i think it smells worse than fiberglass.

also depends on the grade of the plywood and who makes it... I still remember a little bit from working at the Home Depot.

Last edited by a moderator:
This HD isn't bad. People actually seem to know what they're doing. It's odd. The other home depot i've used contains severely stupid workers. I asked a customer for help on accident because it looked like he knew what he was doing. He helped me more than anyone there. He thought it was funny.

This HD isn't bad. People actually seem to know what they're doing. It's odd. The other home depot i've used contains severely stupid workers. I asked a customer for help on accident because it looked like he knew what he was doing. He helped me more than anyone there. He thought it was funny.

wow it even censored out the PG word for Hades.

I just meant that it was a bear working for that company. The one I worked at had the too many Chiefs not enough Indians mentality.

Asking for help at the Depot is a hit or miss thing. You either get someone who has worked in the field or someone that just fell off a turnip truck.

We managed to find the one guy in lumber who did know something. He was a lot of help.

Sometimes they're quite funny though. I went to paint asking for a two part potable epoxy to use for lining the fish tank and she handed me a tube of sealant. xD Not quite.....

Flake, you have me wanting to price out building my own tank now *lol* but I have no idea how!

Living in an apartment I would want everything bolted together so that when I move I can have an easier time moving it all out.

Back
Top Bottom