200g Plywood Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The seams are all wood glued, heavily screwed and the siliconed in. I bought a full sheet of plywood that fits, so I could just jig around a center brace and just attach the whole thing to the top.

The sump's on hold for now. I was going to just build a plywood one into the stand, but I could only find enough sealant for the tank and don't really want to use a pond liner. I think i'm going to have to special order glass, so I have the time to find it, but for now, my chore is getting this sealed and the stand built

Yup. It should form a pretty water tight seal. It worked for a guy's 1500g build, it should work for my 200g. :)

so flake, do you have the glass to make the tank yet? i cant wait to see that tank full of pristine water and excellent looking fish and inverts (even though thats a few months away with cycling and everything)!

Sadly no. I called the glass place near me today for an estimate on getting starphire glass. They'd have to special order it, so they'll have to call me back with the cost. :[

Wow, great job. But i do have to say this is the first time i have heard of a plywood DIY tank. A tank made out of plywood just sounds weird.

Thanks! It sounded weird the first time I saw one. After looking at a few of them, I quite like the look. It's interesting to have a way to fully customize a fish tank without the enormous expense of all glass or acrylic.

Starphire is supersuper clear. It doesn't have the greenish tint some glass has. This picture I found on reef sanctuary pretty much made up my mind for me.

img_1010650_0_e39b4722f239b658c8a316f615509c16.jpg

It is. But it's not too far off the cost of acrylic, so i'm hoping it won't be too expensive to order and deliver. Fingers crossed!

I'm going to buy. I don't trust myself with electrical wiring. I'm thinking some high wattage T5s or something for corals.

i'm not sure. I haven't really shopped lighting much. I wanted to actually be able to measure the top first before I shelled out cash. What do you think would support corals well enough in such a big tank?

It is gonna be tough finding lighting. You could buy 2 fixtures and put them on the tank next to each other.

That's what I figured i'd have to do. two 30something inch fixtures would cover it all with room in between for the center brace. No sense lighting plywood :D

yeah with that big of a tank you are probably going to want to get 2 MH fixtures. do you have any idea how big top of the tank is going to be at all?

OK, answer me this. Whats the difference between MH and T5s? Do they allow you to keep different corals or something? Are they stronger light?

Back
Top Bottom