20gal long tank stand (with a place for the cat)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well its done finally the last coat of paint looks great. i got the grey painted around the door frames. the handles r on jsut waiting for it to cure out compleatly b4 taking it to c-bus and helping her set up her tank. the directions on the paint said to wait 7 days b4 washing or setting anything heavy on it so that should work out i painted it sunday and i wont have a chance till sunday to take it down to her

Attachments

• tank stand10.jpg
    tank stand10.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 68
  • tank stand9.jpg
    tank stand9.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 71
  • tank stand8.jpg
    tank stand8.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 83
Like the way it looks, and the gray trim brings out the handles well. Good jobb.

i dont thnk it was cheaper than buying one from a store, but its what i had in my head that i wanted for her appartment instead of a plain stand the same size of the tank.

i cant find the recite rite now but i belive the cabinet was around $85 bc it is oak, the top and bottom board were $17 each or so. i had prob $10 in brackests and $15 in the handels. then about $45 in the paint and primer. it would have been cheaper to paint if i would have known how to the 1st time lol i wasted about $20 the 1st time around with trying to use sealer on the wood. oh nand i had to buy 1 2x4 that cost $2.19

so i would say grand total is $190 give or take a few dollers oh i forgot i have another $45 in it with the racks that go underhe shelf and a power srtip and 2 led batt opporated lites to brightin up the inside.

so total $235

... cost of doing it yourself: PRICELESS!! :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Very good work! Even though it would be more than a prebuilt cabinet, you get the satisfaction of knowing you built it! More importantly, you know that it is what you want!

Nice job! Interesting approach starting with a kitchen cabinet.

On a non related note, booooo OSU.
(UC Student :p)

yea shes not an OSU fan lol just they have 1 of the top vet schools in the country and its only hour and half away from home.

as far as using a cabinet i aways figured if i got a 6ft tank some day i would use 2 base cupboards to make a stand (with some real boards for strenght) the hard detail work is done for you that way

i got the power strip mounted 2day and did some checking and her bucket she uses for pwc will fit in 1 side just perfect under the shelf. the paint is still really green yet (the wether turnded cool and rainy yesterday)

metal stands or racks are cool lol i wish i knew someone around me who did metal work.... could have welded me together my new racks lol

the stand is nice though.

Good job! I think it looks soo nice! :) She'll love it :) It's so sweet of you to build a stand for your girlfriend, aww :)

Hehe anyways post pics once the tank and cat are on the stand!

-Cool handles btw

thank you. i hope she likes it if not i guess im gona have to buy a 20gal long to put on it bc i think it bad [moderator edit]. i plan on taking it down this sunday along with the used filter from my 10gal to help cycle the tank. then the next week end hoping to beable to put the fish in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
well she loves the stand !!! i think it looks great in her apartment and the tank looks good setting onthe stand. margie likes it to , well not sure if she likes the stand or the tank more lol

Attachments

• tank stand11.jpg
    tank stand11.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 59
  • tank stand12.jpg
    tank stand12.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 130
  • tank stand14.jpg
    tank stand14.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 78
margie is loving the new set up lol

Attachments

• tank stand13.jpg
    tank stand13.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 69
  • tank stand15.jpg
    tank stand15.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 80
we were filling up the bucket and came in to find margie ivestgating the tank. she only fell in after we came up behind her and pooked her leg. lol it was entertaining

Attachments

• tank stand16.jpg
    tank stand16.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 113
Lol, great pics! I guess Margie approves of the new set up! I like the stand, good work!

thanks it was a very rewarding project. and yes she likes the stand, she just loves stalking the fish

ill get some pics of the stand, tank, fish, and margie when we get the fish trasported to cbus

Back
Top Bottom