240g Front Pane Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
To cut a long story short, the front 8' pane on my 240g cracked today. Is it possible to get that replaced or would it be too risky? The glass guy that damaged it is willing to replace it, but he does not specialize in aquariums and I can't have that much water flooding our living room.

Attachments

• image-3153574218.jpg
    image-3153574218.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 171
Man, that really sucks! Sorry that happened to you. If you decide to replace it, I would ask that he go thicker glass than what was there previously. With an 8 foot tank, it needs support. Obviously there is some problems with the top brace, and the thicker glass will help. I would also have him remove the plastic brace on top and replace it with a euro-brace with glass cross supports on top of that. It'll be a pain, but that's the only way I would consider doing it.

get some liability forms with his signature on it just in case... Legal zoom! sorry dude..

I'd have him replace the whole tank.
+1. id never replace an 8' pane of glass on a tank. id wake up every morning afraid to look at the tank for fear it would have failed. either the guy fully replaces the tank or atleast pays you for a 240 that you find.

I got it all woked out with him. I found another 240g LeeMar custom tank that I am hoping to get Saturday. He gave me cash, no hassle at all. the tank is Two hours away, but I get to pass by one of my old LFS and a new LFS on the way, so not all that bad.

Excellent news, glad the guy was reasonable.

I imagine his insurance will cover it anyway.

He did not have insurance, which is why I was so worried that he might try to disappear. It all turned out okay though. Good guy, hope he does well with his glass business. He plans to stick to installs that he has done for years moving forward. He said no more aquariums.

Windows, showers, glass replacement for cabinets, etc...replacing this brace seemed pretty straightforward to me, but apparently not. I think that he used a clamp to pull the front and rear panels in to the brace and probably cranked a little to much. I wasn't there, so I'm not sure.

Do you have a backyard? If you dug a trench and sealed both sides of the crack, perhaps you could have a backyard pond.

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

Back
Top Bottom