29-gallon Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karegg

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I finally bought a tank from somebody on Craigslist, but they don't have a stand. I think I'll build one!

I'm definitely not much of a handyman, but do have access to a garage, tools and supplies.

I'm wanting to build a stand for a 29-gallon tank that will fit in nicely in a contemporary apartment/loft setting. Are there any things your stand doesn't have that you wish it did that might make maintenance, storage, etc. easier? Just trying to get a feel for what I'd need, rather than just a wooden box with some stain.

If you go with a cannister filter I'd recommend a roll out tray that it sits on for ease of cleaning. Next stand I build I am going to incorporate that as those cannister can weigh a ton when full!

I've built my own stands... I do enjoy building things - I too purchased almost all of my tanks from craigslist...;) If you keep your eye open, there are some very good deals out there..

A 29 gallon won't be too heavy, but I found some good plans on-line by just "googling" aquarium stand plans... just remember, you need to build something that will hold about 300 pounds.

Good luck, I'd enjoy seeing pictures when you get your project set up.

I'm glad that you mentioned the weight. That is the one thing I was concerned with when I built the stand for my 72g tank. Make sure that it is nice and solid!

One thing I like about a custom built stand is they can be taller so you don't have to sit on the floor to see th tank. My 72 stand is 35 inches tall. I'm getting ready to upgrade to a 210g tank and I intend to make it 40" tall. I like being able to walk up to the tank and see all of it while standing.

congrats on the new tank karegg! the on thing i wish my stands had is an are underneath for a second tank to be viewed. while mine do have room for another tank underneath, they are more for resevoir or sump purposes. a second smaller show tank underneath would be sweet.

as far as construction goes, all i can suggest is to make the base a bit wider if the stand is goingto be that tall. 2x4 construction is the best way to go for strength and longevity. make sure to build wood on wood and not wood on screws. in other words...the upper and lower decks should have vertical 2x4's directly in between and not just to the inside of the frame.

i haven't used this, but i've seen some sketches on this and they look great....

Google SketchUp - Home

Ziggy, they make high heels or step ladders for that! LOL!

I think if I had a stand tall enough for two tanks to be seen clearly at eye level, maintenance (especially in the top one) would be a chore.

We'll probably end up with a hang-on-back filter (I hear the AquaClears are good), but the roll-out tray is a neat idea anyway.

Anyone else built their own?

I wanted something that looked a bit more like a fine piece of furniture so thats what i put it on. lol i got an old buffet for free from craigslist or freecycle and it worked out perfect for it.

Here's my first idea after playing around with Google SketchUp. Cool program, thanks for the link!

Attachments

• 29galstandidea1.jpg
    29galstandidea1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 76
The main thing I'd look at is what kind of filter or sump you plan to put underneath it. A cannister is easy to fit, but you may want a slide out tray. If you're doing salt water with a sump, you're also going to want an auto top off. Which means room for another small tank to hold that.

Other than that, a small shelf or tray, off to the side, is handy for setting food or other things you get into daily while taking care of the tank.

looks good karegg. i wish that program would work w/ my stupid vista!,lol.

What version of Vista are you running? It works just fine with mine.

And, good idea on room for the filter, etc. This will be a freshwater tank. I'll keep playing with ideas, but I may wait until I know what filter and other equipment I'll be getting before finalizing.

Back
Top Bottom