2X4 or 4X4 for 55 gal stand??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyderik

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive read up a little on some DIY stands, and heres my 2 questions.

Ive seen some use 2X4's and some use 4X4's ... which should I use for a 55 gallon? The price difference is a decent increase to 4X4s .

Ive also seen 1 article where a builder used L brackets when assembling... Or are long wood screws and wood glue combo good?

I do plan on placing the studs every 16" on the frame.

Any info is appreciated
I plan on buying some materials tomorrow...so sooner the better for suggestions :)
Thanks
D

Last edited by a moderator:
I am assuming the 455 is a typo so for a 55g 2x4 are more then enough. also when I built my stand I found that steel L brackets helped to keep the unit from "rocking" so I would recommend their use as they are relatively cheap for the added lateral support. hope that helps.

Another suggestion is to construct your stand so that the weight is supported by wood and not by the fasteners. A rail placed on top of a leg is much stronger than a rail nailed/screwed to the side of a leg.

I have 70 gallons on a 2x4 stand with no issues.

I have a 180 that came with a stand made out of 1" pine.... I'd say 2x4 would be more than enough.

Just some information, The vertical strength of a 2x4 @ 8' is 1 tonne. So @ 2' the strength is ~ 4 tonnes x 4 legs is 16 tonnes. This is extreme tho, and any twists/defects would reduce the efficiency of the wood. It would also have to be sturdy. If the stand has a proper face/back and sides to keep everything square (either cross bracing, or a 1/2" plywood frame), a 3' high 2x4 frame can hold up even a 455Gal tank (> 2 tonnes) tho I would err on the safe side and use more then 4 legs, probably 2x8, since the horizontal flex point of a 2x4 is quite low by comparison, even on edge.

Back
Top Bottom