36" stand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wasilvers

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a 50 gallon 36x18x18 tank this week. I didn't like the stands available, so decided to build my own. I wanted a bookcase style and have come up with this - see picture below.
My question is: are the 2x4's strong enough for the span between the supports? The top frame rests on 2x4's and has a 2x4 behind it screwed in as well.

I am going to add a frame on each side wall and make a tiny cabinet for fish food and such - the things that most stands are supposed to hide :) The fram will also support the sides of the top frame. This pic gives the general idea of the stand

Thanks for any help!

Will

Attachments

• fish stand.jpg
    fish stand.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 120
Looks good. I would add a 2x4 to each corner between your top and bottom frame where your 2x4's gap each other. That will add more than enough support.

I have twice the weight on less wood. Normally a stand for a tank that size is 12 or 18mm thick MDF or chipboard veneer.

Tanks are 36x15x18 and 40x15x18 on 3x2 legs the widths are 1 1/2 x 1 1 3/4.
The original stand I built had smaller than 3x2 profile legs and stood for years with the same weight, it stood until I took it apart.

You should have no problems with the timber itself.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f44/new-fish-house-284360.html

Back
Top Bottom