Originally Posted by yelle0277
Thanks BigJim I think I'll be able to use these ideas.
Very nice build Viper! Any problems with chemicals and the fish?
The only issues that incurred were from the cement raising the pH. Like I mentioned in my thread, at the beginning, the pH would start rising after a couple hours. By the time I put it in my tank, it would take upwards of 4 days before I started noticing a rise in the pH. It had been a couple months at that point (could be quicker with more diligent water changes after the pH started rising), so I just wanted to get the tank setup. It also didn't help that my parents were getting tired of having fish in the kitchen. I just did water changes every few days.
Your experience could be completely different. I'm assuming that using different cements and using different curing methods would produce different results than mine. I would look into getting a cement that is able to be sealed using acrylic. It was only after I put the cement on that I learned I couldn't use acrylic because of the chemicals in the type of cement I got. I've had some spots under the return from the filter where the cement has worn away exposing the pink foam underneath. They aren't large spots and are really only bothersome to me. I believe sealing the cement with acrylic would prevent this wearing away of the cement.
Other than the pH rising, I've had no other issues that would directly effect the fish.