3d background, need help from anyone thats build one of these.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks really hard, but the reward afterwords if so worth it! Kinda like when we were kids building model cars haha

Water curing, thankfully the 3/4 tube of silicone is doing its job!!!!!!! The lighting is my old set up, i have my led's in my little tank with the live plants and fish waiting for my water to cycle in the 55!!!! Bob, how did they make that waterfall in the back of that tank?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 140
That looks great :). I just completed a diy Rockwall in my aquarium. I have found that if you get the water as hot as you can with a heater you will speed up the curing process. That really helped my tank :)

ForumRunner_20131008_183151.jpg

I have it at 80 right now, just tested the water today and it wasn't horrible. Changed the carbon out and hoping that will get it levels out and I'm going to do a 50% water change this weekend. My fish are hating the 10 gallon that they're in right now

looks good...but

Try using Drylok next time. Use about 3 good coats. Its very durable and there is no "curing time" involved. And you can use the cement colors in it as well.
GE silicone #1 works good on attaching backgrounds to the glass. You can also use Great Stuff foam to attach it.
74805-albums12831-picture60893t.jpg

Yeah, there's a lot of things I would've done different now, haha, but I'm planning on doing a small one for my 10 with an aio built into it for a nano reef. I will make sure a document that one better and write a post or blog up on it.

I have it at 80 right now, just tested the water today and it wasn't horrible. Changed the carbon out and hoping that will get it levels out and I'm going to do a 50% water change this weekend. My fish are hating the 10 gallon that they're in right now

Awesome! If you can get the temp higher that will help. I had mine riding close to 90. I dropped an extra heater in as to not burn out the one that was doing all the work. Unfortunately I don't think the carbon will help much in this case, the cement is leeching limeoout. That won't really get cleaned out by carbon.

Try using Drylok next time. Use about 3 good coats. Its very durable and there is no "curing time" involved. And you can use the cement colors in it as well.

I done a search for DryLoc and it appears that they have water, oil and dry based sealers and also a hydro patching formula; based on the desired texture I assume you are referring to the patching compound? Just starting back in aquariums after many years away... things have certainly changed! Thanks.

e618ba1c-e777-4075-aed2-94690d3bdfba_300.jpg

I just used the latex based.
I personally wouldnt use oil or water based.
As far as texture goes, the drylok has a gritty consistency.
So that combined with shaping the styrofoam works very well to create texture.

looks good. what is a good clear sealant?

and guys instead of quickrete can you use that Krylon Imitation stone paint and seal it off?

also no need to silicone up your aquarium just mount a couple rare earth magnets in the back of your background then the other magnet outside the aquarium and that thing isnt going to budge

sorry new to forum didnt see there was multiple pages. I was wondering I have read that Krylon Fusion is aquarium safe and I saw one post said any krylon paint was safe.

I was wondering if anyone has used Krylon Make It Stone paints?
Make It Stone!® Textured Paint

Make It Stone!® Textured Paint

Yeah, there's a lot of things I would've done different now, haha, but I'm planning on doing a small one for my 10 with an aio built into it for a nano reef. I will make sure a document that one better and write a post or blog up on it.

Can you make a quick bulleted list of "What I would have done differently..." for guys like me that are taking notes before we take the plunge... it would be really helpful.

(I just added "use Drylock" to my list. )

*build a false aquarium to make sure the back and under side are flat as possible, this can be done by getting 2 pieces of particle board and brace them into an "L" shape
*use mortar mix instead of quikcrete. Mortar mix is easier to work with and has fine particle aggregate rather then the bigger aggregate found in quikcrete
*let it cure completely before adding fish! I went through a fully stocked tank to 1 fish. :'(. Test, test, and when you think you've tested to much, test it again!

Back
Top Bottom