3X3X2' Glass/Wood tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vundercoverdog

Aquarium Advice Regular
For a view of my design i have another thread open titled- "help building cool design of 130G tank"

So what is the strongest wood to use for the back (2) panels?

Aswell as the stand , what kind of wood would be strongest to support about 2000lbs ?

Thanks!

I agree, plywood for sides. For the stand, you could us 1x1's. Or 2x4's. 2x4's would be over kill but allow you to sleep at nite knowing its not going anywhere.

I'd suggest 3/4" exterior grade plywood. Even if you seal the inside moisture has a way of getting thru to most any wood IME lol.

Following along, for sure and can't wait to see this great idea take shape!

I agree that 3/4" ply would be a good idea. What are you using for the inside? Are you going use the epoxy method and pour it on? I think that by far has been the most successful but I have seen people use fiberglass as well. Regardless it is going to be a heavy tank.

Is the glass going to be 24" tall? Are you going glass or acrylic? I think most like to use glass plus it is a bit cheaper. If you have it custom cut be sure to tell them to round the edges so you don't cut yourself.

smitty i will be using the epoxy paint method, it is more conventional than fiber glass. As for the dimensions it will 3x3x3 but i will have make a special cut and i was going with tempered glass 16mm thick so i sure it wont blow out when i fill and decorate and yes it will be a heavy tank i estimate 2000lbs Filled and fully decorated. I plan on it being a Planted tank, dont know what fish to put in after though since i usually own HM Betta tanks (my favorite) maybe angel fish? idk.

I wasn't sure how tall it is as I saw this thread first and the title says 3x3x2. I didn't see that was a typo until seeing your other thread.

You may want to do some more research of the epoxy with those steps... Now that I've seen that I really don't know that the epoxy will work because it would just run down the steps and not give you the seal you want.

I really don't know what to tell you with that design what would or wouldn't work. I think you may be a little more successful with something like 5-10mm pond liner but I have not knowledge of how to seal it in at the bottom edge.

The good think about the design is the uniqueness of the steps. Unfortunately that is the problem. The only thing I can really think of is to make a box and coat it completely. Then make each board of the steps and coat them individually, then add them, then put the tank at an angle and pour in the corners to seal it up that way so that no water gets under the steps. It is a LOT of work.

Sorry I can't be of more help. You are stepping out of the norm on this one! Good for you and I really hope it works!

Edit: The other option is to use fiberglass at least as a base and then put the epoxy on top of it. That may work...

Back
Top Bottom