40 gal sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMike2u

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im building my own sump out of a 40 gallon breeder tank for my 75 gallon saltwater tank . Im planning on having 3 sections

water intake \ refugium \ return
skimmer

im trying to figure out how tall to make the baffles . I think I need to make 4 glass baffles. 3 between the intake/refugium and 1 between the return/refugium. can any body help with the height of these baffles thanks
also how big should each of the 3 sections be?

im building my own sump out of a 40 gallon breeder tank for my 75 gallon saltwater tank . Im planning on having 3 sections

water intake \ refugium \ return
skimmer

im trying to figure out how tall to make the baffles . I think I need to make 4 glass baffles. 3 between the intake/refugium and 1 between the return/refugium. can any body help with the height of these baffles thanks
also how big should each of the 3 sections be?

From all my reading for past day this is what I came up with. Right? Wrong? Does it need changes? Thanks

ForumRunner_20130827_084323.jpg

The main concern would be how much water height you need for the return and skimmer.

Building the same size sump, had 5 baffles made 3 are 10" and 2 are 12". 3 for the bubble trap and 2 for the side of the refugium and return pump

Did you build it like you drew or did you change anything. I am also using a 40 breeder for a sump and am looking for some info. Have you tested it yet? how does it work? anything you would change?

I changed the heights of baffles. 1st section is my intake/skimmer baffle 10" high 10" wide. 2nd section is the fuse 12" high 12"wide. 3rd section return 9" high. 9" wide. See above photo. I haven't hooked up yet waiting for my return pump to arrive. So many people have different views you just have to read and decide which works best for you. Il post when I get it all hooked up and running...my tank is a 75 gallon with 80 lbs live rock and 80 lbs live sand.

Looks like the same as what I just built mines been running for a couple weeks now other than having to buy a small return pump every thing is working well so good luck with yours

Back
Top Bottom