46 gallon bowfront lid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rjf1023

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i just bought a 46 gal bow front, and it came with the glass lid. The glass lid makes me a bit nervous, as we have cats. We have conditioned them to not jump on our current 29 gallon, but who knows what goes on when we aren't home. They aren't even worried about the fish, just like the running water of the filter. Reguardless, the glass top of the 46 bow makes me a bit nervous. Our heaviest cat doesnt really flex the glass a concerning amount (she jumped up on it yesterday when we had the tank empty on the ground) but im worried about force if she jumps off of it, causing added pressure to it. All and all, i dont like the idea of the glass top, because the shattering could hurt the fish and the cats. Any other lids ive seen for this size bowfront dont offer full coverage, so im wondering, does anyone know of any full coverage plastic lids for a 46 gallon bowfront, or any suggestions on custom jobs You have done/ seen?
Any and all input would be appreciated. My orgininal thoughts were fabrication of a custom plexiglass top and then a clip on light bar, but if theres something out there where i dont have to get all tim the tool man taylor on it, that would be better. Thanks in advanced!

Definitely can see a bit of concern. I have seen more than one pic with a cat taking a dunk from hanging out, on, jumping from, trying to get in, the top of an aquarium.

Would a wood "plank" work. Across the top front. I think that tank is 36" across. So like plus 2 inches on each side, with a lip over the edge, leave a gap for where the light goes and add an additional plank to the rear and maybe connect them across the top where the light would go.

So you would have somewhat of a walkway for the cats, since they will likely want to go across there anyway.

Lift up and off when doing maintenance. Just paint black.

A simple idea might be 4 legs of any favored decor style, strong enough to support said cat(s) with a "shelf" / cover, top, similar to a over toilet shelf idea, but over tank "shelf".

The top would sit above the lights and tank and leave enough space for cooling of light/ airflow.

You could make it where you lift off the "top", or a nested design where you can pull the top nest piece out to do maintenance.

Or, it might be possible to find a stainless steel, chrome or black kitchen / utility / storage rack in the right size. Depends on your location and whether you need something utilitarian or more stylish. There are DIY things which are wood and just sit over the wire parts to look nicer.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/119252...5671&msclkid=d05451fb91081c2f6b1d335aee227c4b

Last edited:
Can you cut wood then use thicker Plexi in a cut out opening?

Back
Top Bottom