5 gallon Sump Design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, technically it could work, but it is very unlikely. Basically you would need both pumps to be pumping water at the exact same rate. This would be near impossible to accomplish.

What you need is to replace the pump in the tank with a hang on tank weir or overflow box.

Don't try this design, you will be standing in a puddle! Ideally you would only have the return pump from the sump to the display tank and let gravity pull it from the DT to the sump. I have a good diagram of the sump I built and will post it on your thread tomorrow, may help you get a better understanding of sumps functionality.

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

The problem is that my tank has a built in lid so a overflow box will not work.

TomStav I can't wait to see your design.

What size/ model main tank do you have? What lid? Just to get an idea of how it can be accomplished.

ezy33 said:
A closed loop system would work, like a canister filter.

They work as a siphon and a return pump but have to be securely air-tight, which cannot be done with a sump, unless you simply plan on building a DIY canister filter?

It is possible to use PVC to create a simple hang on tank overflow. It. Would take up a lot less space than a regular overflow box.

My tank is bought from a chinese store so they buy their stuff from China. The tank is 2 glass so a straight glass at the back and a curved glass at the front. Then the lid is connected to hinges at the back. The back will then have a platform going to the middle of the tank and there is a powerfilter placed on the platform. So even if I take off the lid, the overflow box can't hang on the back glass because of the platform. Just a question, can a overflow box be hang on a curved glass?

hal.lc said:
It is possible to use PVC to create a simple hang on tank overflow. It. Would take up a lot less space than a regular overflow box.

EVERYTHING is possible with PVC! You can find some pretty small hang-on overflows though, but would be cheap alternative...

Would you be willing to drill the tank (either yourself or for $20 at a glass shop)? That would be the best way around it, and the best looking..

TomStav said:
EVERYTHING is possible with PVC! You can find some pretty small hang-on overflows though, but would be cheap alternative...

Very true. Although I was considering more that he would only need enough space to fit one piece of PVC, and that would only need to reach down below the water line by maybe an inch.

I don't think I am going to drill the tank since I already have my fish stock.
I am looking into making a PVC pipe overflow box. I live in Canada and I'm not sure where to get the pvc pipes.

PVC should be fairly easy to find. Just check the nearest large hardware store.

Edit:
A PVC hang on tank overflow is definitely the least attractive option. But it works well, and if you painted it black it may be less obtrusive. Just be sure to do so with aquarium safe paint.

Do you think this design will work? Using gravity for water to flow through pvc pipes. Then powerhead and vinyl tubing for the return flow.

Attachments

• Sump2.jpg
    Sump2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 153
Well, your overflow is not shaped correctly, but yes. An overflow that drains into your sump and a pump that pumps water back into the main tank from the sump will work.

It could, but the water would siphon down at it's own rate not at the pumps rate, so you would have to put a PVC ball valve in the PVC intake to give you the ability to adjust the amount of flow going down. I'll have a think about it and give you some better feedback along with diagrams that worked for me tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom