50/50 land/water split aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler D

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have wanted to try this for a long time so I could have a much wider range of life in my tank. What would be the best way to do this? I want to have it open between the two sides and sort of have a beach so that I could keep semi aquatic animals as well as land critters and of course fish.

I also want to have water flowing from the back of the land side all the way and exiting into the aquarium side. Also the slope between the two sides has to be gradual so that land critters don't fall in and drowned.

Any help on how I should do this would be great. Also add your own input on additions features and even what I should stock it with....

Hello this is my rainbow crab tank with a few cherry shrimp in, to give u some ideas

Attachments

• image-389532333.jpg
    image-389532333.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 2,226
Love this idea. Had a biology teacher build one like 15 year ago. He put acrylic dividers on one side (1/3) to build the pool. With a shallow turtle slide and a pump with large stone around it. He ran the output to the far side of dry side and used like Chinese clay roof tiles and made a cool lil river. Very easy with common things..hard part is a tank truly big enuf so u creature are climbing a mountain to get outta water..

Love this idea. Had a biology teacher build one like 15 year ago. He put acrylic dividers on one side (1/3) to build the pool. With a shallow turtle slide and a pump with large stone around it. He ran the output to the far side of dry side and used like Chinese clay roof tiles and made a cool lil river. Very easy with common things..hard part is a tank truly big enuf so u creature are climbing a mountain to get outta water..

I was thinking of doing something similar... Maybe a 30 long with a 30* sloped divider that goes right smack in the centre of the tank and reaches about 40% of the way to the top.

I want to put my hermit crabs on the land side so I would use coconut fibre substrate I'm
Using now and then make sort of a sandy beach near the centre. Then probably transfer the contents of my 5G to the water side. ( 2 guppies, 3 Sakura shrimp and an apple snail. ).

Hello this is my rainbow crab tank with a few cherry shrimp in, to give u some ideas

Wow that's cool! But I would need to have a divider between the water and land because of the substrate I would need to use for my
Hermit crabs. It absorbs a lot of water and becomes mud :(

It's called a paludarium - which in Latin means "swamp" or "where land meets water". I have one I did and am in the process of doing a second. Check out dendroboard, vivariumforum, and frogforum for ideas, pictures, and DIY projects. They are also very helpful and knowledgable

Saw a killer set up and thought of you Tyler. Gonna get back to the store and snap a pic for ya.

Saw a killer set up and thought of you Tyler. Gonna get back to the store and snap a pic for ya.

Sweet. I'm really excited. I have a few ideas but gotta get around to finding a cheap tank that's big enough.

I'm currently building a paludarium as well, mine will be a little more natural as far as where the land meets the water. By that I mean there's no glass or plexi dividers, just some driftwood, little bit of great stuff, and some mesh. I plan on having plants that like "wet feet".
the sites nick mentioned are great and will give you all kinds of ideas and helpful information. the best advice i think i could give is to plan plan plan. picture what you want in your head, draw it out, even if it's rough, gather your materials, then piece it together in a rough layout, and then start your build. If things aren't exactly what you wanted, roll with it, sometimes it just works out better that way. Good luck!

That's a tank at our local pet world :) love the setup....eventual goal lol

Yeah that's awesome. Haven't gotten around to getting a tank for it yet but I plan to give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom