50 gallon "handmedown" ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcala

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys (and gals) I got this tank from an uncle, it's a very old tank. Used to be a SW. I want to do some easy and useful DIY PROJECTS!

Attachments

• image-486960090.jpg
    image-486960090.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 158
Hey guys (and gals) I got this tank from an uncle, it's a very old tank. Used to be a SW. I want to do some easy and useful DIY PROJECTS!

Are u going to do freshwater or SW? First off, repaint the stand.
Are u going to DIY everything? Anything you are not going to DIY?

Are u going to do freshwater or SW? First off, repaint the stand.
Are u going to DIY everything? Anything you are not going to DIY?

Freshwater! Painting the stand will be done! I'm going to try some Dyi stuff but I just want to hear some good ideas!

Freshwater! Painting the stand will be done! I'm going to try some Dyi stuff but I just want to hear some good ideas!

You can do a whole set up DIY with the exeption of the tank itself.
The canister filter can be a multi-drawer cabinet ( sterilite has them) in each draw, put the filtration. ( mech., chem., bio ). Drill a hole in the top of the whole draw so that the pipe leading water into the filter can fit in. On the bottom of each drawer, drill small holes on the perimeter. Put all the media into the drawers. Put the whole drawer into a large plastic container that does not leak. Make sure water can get through the tower and into the plastic container without clogging or else when used as a filter, it will overflow. Put the water pump into the plastic container, next to the tower. You will need two underwater water pumps. Put one in the tank and attach the hose to it. Silicone the other end of the hose to the top opening of the tower. Put the second pump into the large plastic container. Attach a hose to the output nozzle of the pump and lead the hose back into the tank. Make a diy spray bar by getting a pvc pipe that can fit into the hose nice and tight. drill small holes in one side of the pipe about 2-3" apart. Get a stopper to plug the other end of the pipe. On the other side of the pipe, silicone suction cups ( 2-3 ) to it. wait for silicone to dry and attach to side of tank. U want to make sure the pump in the tank is stronger than the pump in the plastic tub so that the tub will not run dry and break the pump in the tub.

Why put an extra pump in the tank when all it will do is heat the water it would be fine if just a pump in the bin or sump whatever u plan on making and to get water from the dt do a DIY overflow made if PVC since u want to go with a DIY project

You can do a whole set up DIY with the exeption of the tank itself.
The canister filter can be a multi-drawer cabinet ( sterilite has them) in each draw, put the filtration. ( mech., chem., bio ). Drill a hole in the top of the whole draw so that the pipe leading water into the filter can fit in. On the bottom of each drawer, drill small holes on the perimeter. Put all the media into the drawers. Put the whole drawer into a large plastic container that does not leak. Make sure water can get through the tower and into the plastic container without clogging or else when used as a filter, it will overflow. Put the water pump into the plastic container, next to the tower. You will need two underwater water pumps. Put one in the tank and attach the hose to it. Silicone the other end of the hose to the top opening of the tower. Put the second pump into the large plastic container. Attach a hose to the output nozzle of the pump and lead the hose back into the tank. Make a diy spray bar by getting a pvc pipe that can fit into the hose nice and tight. drill small holes in one side of the pipe about 2-3" apart. Get a stopper to plug the other end of the pipe. On the other side of the pipe, silicone suction cups ( 2-3 ) to it. wait for silicone to dry and attach to side of tank. U want to make sure the pump in the tank is stronger than the pump in the plastic tub so that the tub will not run dry and break the pump in the tub.

Would I need to do a sump or a trickle tower?? What's the best of the two?

Attachments

• image-738243219.jpg
    image-738243219.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3752638358.jpg
    image-3752638358.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 114
  • image-1148959812.jpg
    image-1148959812.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 129
Would I need to do a sump or a trickle tower?? What's the best of the two?

Both r really good. It depends on what u want. A sump is more compacted but usually has less filtration media than a large trickle tower. A sump will also cost more but will fit into the cabinet or under the tank. I prefer trickle towers but sumps look better.

That sounds fun! What does it consist of? And here are some more pictures!

I would start really scrubbing the whole tank down if u want to start the cycle and get the tank goin. Did u get it from Craigslist or was it just sitting around in your garage for a while? The tank needs quite a cleaning. :)

Here's a question the tank doesn't have silicon on the tall part (in picture) but has back braces??

Attachments

• image-3004031512.jpg
    image-3004031512.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2403413128.jpg
    image-2403413128.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 111
  • image-1287270033.jpg
    image-1287270033.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 110
No silicone but holds water?! Where is the back brace?

The bottom of the tank has silicone but not the sides! The third picture is the brace, it's some kind of metal? Is this ok?

The bottom of the tank has silicone but not the sides! The third picture is the brace, it's some kind of metal? Is this ok?

If the sides don't have silicone, u r gonna have to do it yourself or else it will crack/burst. Could u post a better pic of brace?
My 55 gal side:

Attachments

• image-836856589.jpg
    image-836856589.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 111
If the sides don't have silicone, u r gonna have to do it yourself or else it will crack/burst. Could u post a better pic of brace?
My 55 gal side:

image-2059569076.jpg

^ this is the front left corner

image-2811618869.jpg

And this is the back left, it goes in to the black trim and it seems pretty sturdy, I really can't post a picture in any other way

Attachments

• image-2678230054.jpg
    image-2678230054.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2290769893.jpg
    image-2290769893.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 96
^ this is the front left corner

And this is the back left, it goes in to the black trim and it seems pretty sturdy, I really can't post a picture in any other way

Ok.
Now I see the metal brace thing. I think you should leave the brace there as it can help keep that side of the tank sturdy.

Ok.
Now I see the metal brace thing. I think you should leave the brace there as it can help keep that side of the tank sturdy.

Should I re seal the silicon on the in side of the tank? 50 gallons of water on my floor won't be good

Should I re seal the silicon on the in side of the tank? 50 gallons of water on my floor won't be good

Lol. 50 gallons of water in anybody's home is bad. I would re-silicone the inside to make sure it doesn't crack in the future.

Back
Top Bottom