55 gal stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

hey guys?

how do you recommend building a stand for a 55 gal? i am gonna stain it with rose wood oil so its gonna be really pretty, i just what to know the dimesions for a regular 55 gal tank and how thick to make the wood and how to put it together

thanks

Most 55's are 48X13X20 where the measurements are LXWXH. For the stand you dont need to consiter the Height unless you want to have the top of the tank be a specific height off the ground. You would then use the height of the tank and base the height of the stand upon that total desired height.

http://www.garf.org/tank/buildstand.asp

That site will take ALL the guess work out of what will be needed.

i dont really understand how they explain it, i really dont care about the height but it would still be nice to have it at least 20" off the ground

Its not that hard. You put in the lenght and width of the tank and then enter the desired height of the tank. The dimensions I gave above are the physical dimensions of the tank itself.

If you want the top of the tank to be 5' from the floor then the stand would need to be 40" tall. If you wanted it If you wanted it to be 4' off the ground then the stand would need to be 28" tall. So decide how high you want the tank and then subtract the height of the tank and your left with the required height of the stand.

now i get it, all i gotta do is be abel to put it together, lol

well i want the tank to be about 4 1/2' off the ground

but i do not understand how to put it together

4 1/2' off the ground is 54". With a standard 55 being 20" tall your stand needs to be 34" tall. This will make the final height of the tank 4 1/2' off the ground. Your stand must then be 48"X12"X34". Use those measurements in the link I gave above and it will create a nice cut list for your lumber as well as give you a few views showing measurements.

If your not sure how it all goes to gether at that point talk to your shop teacher at school (if your school has a wood shop) or talk to your parents about wanting to construct this. Im sure they will be more than happy to help you build it. Youth and power tools with out supervision is not a good idea anyway.

it is too a good idea, i use them all the time :mrgreen: i think i will ask the sop teacher

Back
Top Bottom