55 gallon sump.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tank was used with these holes but as you see they are right under the frame. I was going to silicone lexan sheets to the inside since i don't think bulkheads will seal because of the frame . What do you think?

if you drill also look up "herbie's ultra silent overflow" there is a big wright up on reefcentral. bulkreefsupply endorses it, if that means anything to you. im running something similar to it. and when i get the free cash im going to fully do it.

i wouldn't drill the bottom of the tank unless you plan on installing a water tight overflow box around it. if the bulkhead ever leaks, you'll drain the whole tank empty.
as long as you use a pump that isn't pushing the drain to capacity, you won't hear much of anything. right now i have the mag 9.5 running on my tank and i do have standpipes, but nothing on top of them for noise reduction, and i can't hear anything. if i increased the flow, that's when i'd hear the suction toilet flushing sound.

Rapid replies are fine in my book lol. I think I'll just go with the overflow box and use the lexan to plug the holes. I would like to get bulkheads but since i have the issue with the frame I'd rather go the patch route since I know that would work.

i really dont want to step on mr_X's toes. he knows what he is talking about.

that said im only offering another way of doing the same thing. ive got a mag 9.5 too and its running wide open with no restriction or redirection and my lift pump is louder than my overflow.

i would come over the top with the return, and i would not rely on a check valve. a drill hole just below the water line inside the tank is much more reliable.

yes. i am a firm believer that the less holes you have to drill in your tank, the better. less chance of leaks, easier to sell the tank down the road...
unless you are doing a rimless tank and the aesthetics of the top are important.

Cool deal you guys are so helpful. Would I drill a small hole in the top of the u shaped return to prevent the water from siphoning out?

not in the top of the tube, because then you would have a water fountain! a small hole just below the water line would allow it to break siphon when the power goes out.

Ok cool . You guys have been a huge help. Hopefully I'll have all my parts soon so I can start a build thread.

I think I'm going order the CPR and the octopus skimmer today and worry about the sump pump in a few weeks. I'm supposedly going to get the sump tank today. So my build is almost started

Back
Top Bottom