65 Gallon DIY Stand and Canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niks76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the planning stage of a 65 gallon DIY stand and hood build. I thought I would post it here to get any pointers from those that have done this before.

As you can see from the mock-up pictures below I have the general plan outlined. The stand is going to be made with 2x4s for framing and skinned with 1/4 inch oak plywood. It will have moulding around the edges to cover up my sloppy plywood cutting abilities (I am having difficulty finding oak moulding at the local big box stores - any ideas where to find good moulding?). The stand will be about 35 inches tall and the hood will be about 6 inches tall.

I will be staining the whole thing to match the woodwork in the house as closely as possible. The tank will be sitting on a 3/4 inch piece of plywood topped with either a thin piece of Styrofoam or cork. The hood will be hinged in the middle to allow the entire front section to be folded onto the back section (haven't quite figured how to do that other than with a piano hinge yet).

I will post progress pics as I go. I will probably start this around the end of November. Thanks for any pointers.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 360
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 354
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 348
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 357
Ok I sorta made the same thing for my 75 tall l will try to post a pic and the hood was the hardest part for me I went with a 11" hood I stained the wood

Frank, thanks for the pictures. Couple of questions - on the stand did you put vertical supports in just the corners or in the middle along the front and back as well? On the canopy - does the front swing up for access? Thanks.

And how did you make the doors? Are they boards glued/attached together to get the size you needed?

Frank, thanks for the pictures. Couple of questions - on the stand did you put vertical supports in just the corners or in the middle along the front and back as well? On the canopy - does the front swing up for access? Thanks.

Nick yes to middle post I used 2x4 for these front and back did not close up the back all the way because I use a canister filter the doors are held together with 1x2 and screws. The hood folds up but only the first 5 inches I use a piano hunger it was not easy to do in fact I will at some point be re making the hood but no hurry it works ok for now but before this I had not built anything before since then I have built one stand for a 20 and 30gal

Frank

Last edited:
2x4 supports will work fine; 3/4" plywood will also work to support a 65gal tank. A piano hinge works well, set it up with 45 degree cuts on the front of the solid piece, and 45 degree cuts on the hinged portion.

Renegade, explain what you mean by 45 degree cuts please. I can't picture what is supposed to have a 45 degree cut. Thanks.

Renegade, explain what you mean by 45 degree cuts please. I can't picture what is supposed to have a 45 degree cut. Thanks.

Niks, were the two pieces of your hool come back together, if you place opposite 45 degree cuts, the two pieces overlap nicely.

Frame almost done. Went a little overboard on the design but I wanted it to last.

Attachments

• image-3189009466.jpg
    image-3189009466.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 288
And primed with Kilz.

Attachments

• image-527475642.jpg
    image-527475642.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 312
And the top surface and bottom shelves are cut. Question: How should I attach the top surface the aquarium will sit on to the frame? Should I just glue it? I thought about screwing from the top down into the frame but am concerned that could make the top not level. Any thoughts?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389305269.381509.jpg

Looks great. When I built my stand, I put a piece of decorative trim around the top. This trim also hides the bottom black part of the tank and a bit of the substrate. If you did something similar, you could get away with just gluing the shelf down instead of screwing (or not even gluing it). I didn't even install a top shelf on mine since the tank will cover that void anyways. I'll post some pictures after work if i remember.

And the top surface and bottom shelves are cut. Question: How should I attach the top surface the aquarium will sit on to the frame? Should I just glue it? I thought about screwing from the top down into the frame but am concerned that could make the top not level. Any thoughts?
View attachment 215893

L brackets screwed in place from underneath?

And yeah, that stand is seriously overbuilt but it looks terrific!

Well life has sidetracked this build until now. I have the base finished except for staining and sealing. I am going to embed magnets in the doors to secure them and add handles. Question for the woodworkers out there - should I use wood conditioner to prepare the wood prior to staining or is that not necessary?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408905166.346195.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408905189.641753.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408905208.022795.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No need for the conditioner unless it's pine. Looks great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Forgot to mention it is oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Figured, just throwing it out there..Just slap it on and wipe it even..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom