A non CO2 plant ecosystem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
none.

Plants require light, CO2 and all the other 14 essential elements to survive.

Assuming you have a light on your tank, and the water has access to atmospheric CO2, all you need to do is supply the nutrients.

Fish waste can supply most, but a simple shot of an all in one fertilizer is a good way to ensure the plants get what they need.

Anubias, java fern, java moss, bolbitus, buce, swords, crypts are some good starting choices.

What plants could I put in my 50gal that would be self sustainable

Hello Poe...

The roots of the Chinese evergreen could be immersed in the tank water and other than trimming the leaves occasionally, they'd grow indefinitely in the tank. The plants require only room light. I have some in a 55 gallon tank that have been growing for years. I simply trim the old leaves like you would potted plants. Trimming stimulates new growth. The plants grow by using the dissolved nitrogen from the fish waste material. Attached is a photo of the plants.

B
iwkqSqU

none.

Plants require light, CO2 and all the other 14 essential elements to survive.

Assuming you have a light on your tank, and the water has access to atmospheric CO2, all you need to do is supply the nutrients.

Fish waste can supply most, but a simple shot of an all in one fertilizer is a good way to ensure the plants get what they need.

Anubias, java fern, java moss, bolbitus, buce, swords, crypts are some good starting choices.

Thank you very much [emoji16]

Thank you very much [emoji16]

For ease of simplicity, toss a root tab or two under the swords and crypts. Google search DIY tabs using Osmocote+ and Gel Capsules

Check out:

Hygrophila corymbosa compact
Dwarf Red Tiger Lotus
Bacopa caroliniana
hydrocotyle tripartita
Ludwigia repens
Lysimachia nummularia

as well

Back
Top Bottom