ABS pipe for Pleco to hide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trombonier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's going in a 2' Deep Tank and it keeps floating. I need it to sink and stay at the bottom. Any ideas?

I have used silicone and a hot glue gun to attach gravel or rocks to the pipe. I have had the plecos not use the tube with out knowing why. Time has thought me that if the diameter of the pipe is too big they won't use it. If the pipe is too long they won't use it. Also if they can't see the back of the cave they will not use it. I have found if I make the inside of the cave a lighter colour they will use it. I use a 1.25 inch pipe that is 4-5 inches long and put tan coloured epoxy in the tube. The end also must be closed.
I hope this helps. Travis.

I have never used ABS pipe but I know PVC pipe sinks in water. Maybe ABS has a lower density than water?

Hey Travis! You're saying you close one end of the pipe? So they face in toward the closed end and back out when they exit? (Sorry to be so thick!)

Yes you need to close one end of the pipe for plecos. They will go in head first and back out when they needed. That is why the diameter of the pipe is so important. If they feel they will get stuck they will not go in.
T-bone is also correct ABS flotes and PVC sinks.

Back
Top Bottom