Acrylic Aquarium Top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manix

Aquarium Advice Activist
My glass top cracked and I don't want to spend $20-$30 for a new one, is it possible I can make a sturdy reliable acrylic top for my tank?

The measurements are 36" x 18"

Problem I see is the acrylic sheet will bend. How can I make it stay straight and sturdy? Nothing will be placed on top of the acrylic top. The legs for my lights rest on the edges of the tank.

The acrylic sheet from Home Depot is .098 of an inch thick. So its pretty thin. But very inexpensive.

Any advice?

You could cut some strips and glue them in as bracing across the width. That would help reinforce it. You could also get some very thin metal bars and fit them in across the tank in a couple places to help brace the top. Even wood dowels would be an inexpensive fix that you could build bracing out of.

Good idea.

You just made my life a lot simpler.

I'm going to use wooden dowels to maintain the light weight.

Thanks.

Acrylic sags under it's own weight. In order to prevent that, you would need to brace it lengthwise. I would just get a new piece of glass cut to replace what you have. No need to buy a new top.

I'll price compare the acrylic and glass. I thought glass would cost more and with the cost of cutting.

I tried finding some glass tops at my LFS but they don't have my size. And one just barely smaller than my tank by quarter of an inch.

I wanted to have a topless tank but the instructions for my AquaticLife T5HO fixture states to use a top. It's not for topless tanks. I'm assuming this is to protect the fixture from condensation.

Even though the fixture has a thin acrylic sheet slide in front of the bulbs.

I'll call around and price compare the glass. I'll make my acrylic project the last resort.

That is probably a liability issue for the manufacturer of the light. I don't think I would worry too much about it, if you did want to run it with no top.

If that's the case I'll run it topless.

You guys just saved me a lot of time and money.

I love this forum!

Thanks for all your help.

Any time... I also have ran a few T5HOs over open tanks, and never had a problem... especially if you have some legs attached to it so it is slightly elevated above the water. Just be careful when you do maintenance that you shut everything off and you don't accidentally bump the fixture and knock it into the tank. I think that is the major issue with having no glass top.

I always place my fixture far away during pwc. I'm the "best to be safe than sorry" type of person.

Thanks.

looking to do the same for mine, (we have Menards here) a 24"x48" sheet of .220 (just under 1/4") acrilic runs $40 and can easily be trimmed to go around filters and such,prob what I will use, just a fyi :)

Seems like you ought to be able to get a prefit glass too for much less than $40.

Back
Top Bottom