Added 30 watts to my 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank already had 28 watts over my 10g. I added 30 watts today. 5.8 wpg, :) Here comes algae

photouyj.jpg

So many more variables.....

The WPG changes quite a bit on small tanks, plus the fact that you are using the spiral lamps means that there is a fair amount of loss. Not all of the light is making it's way into the tank and is lost in bouncing around. The lack of a reflector just adds to the inefficiency of the lamps. Not that a little co2 would hurt, I just would not freak out just yet.

dude, make a reflector. i did a homemade light fixture for about $20 bucks (we'll see how it works though) . it would definitely help direct the light into the tank. you can get a 10'x10" roll of aluminum flashing from home depot for $10. that and a little patience and imagination and it'd be awesome

Thanks, got that as a present for christmas from my brother-in-law. Apparently, its oversized bull-parts were too big to pass up. XD haha

rofl

While you are at it, pick up some rubbing/polishing compound. With a buffing wheel or a lot of elbow grease you can make a semi-respectable reflective surface.

Nice fixture!

So you ended up going with the same DIY fixture that I made.

What are you using as a cover for the bulbs?

I have white styrofoam board (the kind people use to spray-mount art projects on) cut out now fit flush around it all. I'm out of town right now but I'll post a pic of it once i get back next week.

I also think I want to spray the "hood" i built black.

Got hair algae growing like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa right now, co2 hasn't been hooked up yet.

Back
Top Bottom